Dishwasher painting

Old 04-09-09, 07:42 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Dishwasher painting

I've replaced my Fridge, range and microwave with black/clean steel appliances. Now I'm on to the dishwasher. It is fairly new (3 yrs) so I'm thinking I should paint it black, it's white now. I've read all post on painting appliances but am stuck on the keypad area and what to do. It has a white background and is plastic. So even if I tape off and just leave the button areas unpainted they will still be white. What should I do? See if the manufacturer has a replacement overlay maybe? Other ideas would be great!
Thanks much.

Old 04-09-09, 09:05 AM
S
Well what you don't want to do is use any "regular" types of paint.If it was me I'd use Testor's Model Enamel (I guess it's still called that) which is a small bottle of paint used for plastic models.Similarly if you have an art supply or craft store near you see what they carry as there are many specialty paints that might work.

Note that brush on paint will be hard to use and not have some brush strokes so if you have to use it buy top quality artist brushes as they will be the least problematic.If you can use spray then that would be better but not if it might go down between the buttons.

Old 04-09-09, 10:43 AM
C
DW buttons

Thanks. I was thinking of using Dupli-color appliance spray. Then no brush strokes. The buttons as all covered with an overlay so no parts are exposed. Just the white overlay. I just don't want to end up with a black and white dw. I think I will look to see if the manufacturer has a replacement overlay in black.

Old 04-09-09, 10:49 AM
S
Do not use any product that does not specifically say it will work on plastics.Many paints will not.I don't know about the one you mention but be certain it will as most appliance paints are geared more for metal or previously painted metal surfaces,not plastic.

Krylon has a specific spray paint for plastics.Other brands may as well.These would be a good choice.

Old 04-09-09, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I'd go with getting the new parts. Prob available in black since its so new. Plenty of online parts place to check availability...then go buy from a local place..support your local economy!

Old 04-10-09, 05:17 PM
S
x3 on the new overlay. You just won't be able to do a good job painting here. You may even find that new parts for the cabinet aren't that expensive either. I know for a while some Kenmore appliances where Sears didn't want to stock a "model" for each color had relatively inexpensive replacement panels for their dishwashers.

SirWired

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: