Old Paint Turned to Cottage Cheese

Old 04-09-09, 03:11 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Paint Turned to Cottage Cheese

I usually try to shake all my cans of paint about every 6 months, apparently I missed one way in the back. It is 3.5 years old and when I stirred up the heavy stuff on the bottom, it is still in small chunks like cheese curds. I have stirred for some time and the curds do not seem to be getting smaller or dissolving as I had hoped - and company's coming for Easter!

Any remedies known for this problem?

Thanks!

Norm

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-09, 03:47 PM
P
Sorry but it is curdled,buttermilk,trash and no way to bring it back. If you have the can info or color info any pro paint store can match it. Or cut a small sample from the wall and touch up if possible.

Old 04-09-09, 04:14 PM
P
Originally Posted by Smithers66 View Post
I usually try to shake all my cans of paint about every 6 months, apparently I missed one way in the back. It is 3.5 years old and when I stirred up the heavy stuff on the bottom, it is still in small chunks like cheese curds. I have stirred for some time and the curds do not seem to be getting smaller or dissolving as I had hoped - and company's coming for Easter!

Any remedies known for this problem?

Thanks!

Norm
I just reread your post...Why are you keeping paint this long?
It's been 3.5 years since you needed this color. Write down all info about the color and dispose all paint that is at least 6 months old with your local hazardous waste agency.

Old 04-09-09, 04:21 PM
S
I am keeping it because I have children that often require me to touch up my paint.

Why would I throw away perfectly good paint?

I keep it mixed up regularly (usually) and it seems to last just fine for me.

Old 04-09-09, 04:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
If you are just needing to do a little touch up, you might be able to strain out all the 'goobers' and use what's left to touch up with. The best way to store paint is in a cool [not freezing] area with the container well sealed. If I know it's going to be a long while before I reuse the left over paint, I'll cover the top of the paint with water or paint thinner and then just mix it well when it's time to use it.

Old 04-09-09, 06:13 PM
S
Since you're in Detroit I will ask the question...was this paint stored where it was subject to freezing?

Old 04-10-09, 05:52 AM
S
No, I keep it all in my basement, it gets chilly, but likely never below 50.

I actually went ahead and used it to cover up my small patches and it seems okay - a bit thin though. What I did was use a small artist brush and spread out the "goobers" and sort of mix it at the same time. Worked okay for my small area application, but I think if I was trying to paint a entire wall or something it wouldn't work.

Thanks all!

Norm

Old 04-10-09, 01:58 PM
B
As was suggested, I would strain the paint through some cheescloth and store it in a quart can, if you know the color or other information, write it on the can so you'll be ready next time.