the old popcorn ceiling dilemma

Old 10-05-00, 08:23 PM
Visiting Guest
I've read thru the archives and appreciate all the info on popcorn ceilings.

I've scraped off the bumps and worked down to a relatively smooth surface. I am wondering how much more I need to scrape before painting. Do I need to get ALL the texture material off before priming and painting? I want a textured look and was planning on using a texturizing paint, anyway.

Old 10-06-00, 05:05 AM
Visiting Guest
If you have the desired smoothness you want and the remaining film is adhered well, then you can posibly go right on top, the only problem would be if it will loosen when getting damp by the new texture or paint. To illiminate this problem you can kilz it or use another oil based primer to seal it before texturing or painting, after sealing it, touch it up with drywall compound to desired smoothness and sand, then texture and prime(drywall primer or remaining kilz) and paint. If you are using a paint additive for the texture then just reprime any drywall compound you may have used for touchup.

Remember, if the remaining film of the existing texture if rougher then the exposed sheetrock you will probably see this when it is finished, a skim coat may be nesasary after sealing to fix this. Also you can sand the existing film with a 100 grit paper BEFORE sealing it with kilz to smooth it even more, be sure not to "burn" the sheetrock paper when sanding.

Ultimately it would be best to remove all the way to the sheetrock but that is not always possible to do without damaging the rock.

Old 10-06-00, 06:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for the info! I learned a lot reading thru archives entries. Spraying with water really helped with the scraping! Wish I'd have thought of that sooner (or thought to look for help).

I have found drywall, apparently without primer, under the texture. So, I am a bit leery of what remains to be found... But, it had to be done sooner or later. Thank goodness, I've only tackled the bathroom ceiling.

Thanks, again.

Old 10-06-00, 07:06 PM
Visiting Guest
You stated in your first post that you looked through the archives, I just asumed you already did the water trick, so this is a bathroom, I would recomend Ben. Moores bathroom and kitchen paint, it is self priming but I prime with an oil based primer in bathrooms because of steam, this paint works very well, I have a low ceiling in my bathroom and it stays steamed up, they also use this paint in the Austin College shower rooms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: