Painting furniture

Old 10-08-00, 10:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I painted two end tables and would like to know how to protect the finish. I painted them with a flat latex paint.

Old 10-08-00, 10:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Laurie:

Latex paint is a mixture of things. The more "flat" you have in it, the more it will stain. Flat paints are notorious for absorbing stains that a glossy paint wouldn't.

I would paint over your flat latex paint on that furniture with a glossy latex paint of the same colour. It is the gloss in paint that protects the surface, not the pigment.

Besides, the glossy surface would be easier to keep clean.

Old 10-09-00, 03:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Clear coat the tables with lacquer. This provides protection from water and alcohol stains. Why go through the trouble of painting them again? The lacquer will not yellow over time like polyeurathane would.

Old 10-09-00, 10:24 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nestor Kelebay:
Laurie:

Latex paint is a mixture of things. The more "flat" you have in it, the more it will stain. Flat paints are notorious for absorbing stains that a glossy paint wouldn't.

I would paint over your flat latex paint on that furniture with a glossy latex paint of the same colour. It is the gloss in paint that protects the surface, not the pigment.

Besides, the glossy surface would be easier to keep clean.
<HR>

Thank you for the advise. I'm going to use it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: