paint/glue removal

Old 10-11-00, 02:47 PM
Visiting Guest
What can be used to remove latex semi-gloss and dry wall paper glue. The glue was not removed completely before the room was painted.

I have tried sanding and the paint loads up and makes more of a mess.

Old 10-11-00, 06:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Since you scuffed the paint already have you tried warm water? If not try it where you sanded already, let it sit and keep it damp for 5 or 10 minutes and try to scrape it off.

If that doesn't work your best bet is probably going to be to skim out the walls with joint compound. Get a mudpan and a 10" mudding knife to do this, and for skimming I would recomend a lightweight joint compound, regular will work too. If you are not comfortable with this you can get a pro to do it in little time, tell him you can sand and finish if it will save you some money.

Another option would be to texture it, but if it is too rough it may show through.

It would be a good idea to prime the walls with an oil based primer (kilz) to seal it prior to skimming or texturing, as both will keep the walls damp for a few hours and may loosen the paste.

-------------------------------------------------

I am asuming that "dry wall paper glue" is wallpaper adhesive and not drywall compound. It confused me at first.

[This message has been edited by Chipfo (edited October 11, 2000).]

Old 10-12-00, 07:07 AM
Visiting Guest
I have already tried warm water and it did not work well. The paint job is about 7-8 years old and the lumps deposited on the wall by the sander were difficult to remove.

I want to try and stay away from skimming the wall if possible. I know that I do not have the touch to do that, so I would have to contract that out.

I would like to come up with a solvent stronger than DIF that will remove the paint and old dry wall paper glue and not kill me. Any suggestions?

Old 10-12-00, 02:58 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
abooth, When I read your post I thought we were dealing with fresh paint. If it is seven or so years old you are in for a tough time unless the cheapest of materials were used. The only thing I can think of to try would be a gel stripper but this will be messy at best if it will work at all. If you find a method that will lift the paint I believe the walls will need a great deal of patching and skimming. Which leads us straight to Chipfos advice. Perhaps you could put the oil primer on and do the sanding and cleaning up, let a pro do the floating......Mike

Old 10-12-00, 03:09 PM
Visiting Guest
I have seen so many posts on wallpaper adhesive that will not loosen with water, all the adhesives I use will easily come off with water, with the exception of vinyl over vinyl adhesive, then I even have to wash my cloths with hot water and detergent to get it out, cold won't do it. But I don't think this is the case here, I am not sure what this adhesive is that so many people are having problems with.

If you go to Sherwin Williams they have a wallpaper remover, it is made to go with the paper tiger, but you won't need that just the remover (since the paper is off), try that and tell them that plain water won't do it, maybe someone there knows, if that doesn't work you may have to resort to solvents, maybe someone else has the answer, I would probably skim or texture.

------------------------------------------------

Oops, I totally forgot it was painted, the wallpaper remover won't work through paint nor will most solvents.

It seems like Mike and I are always posting at the same time, usually him right before me and I never see his until I am through.

[This message has been edited by Chipfo (edited October 12, 2000).]

Old 10-12-00, 05:21 PM
hy
Visiting Guest
You have not indicated whether this is on plaster walls or sheet rock. If it is on plaster you can use the PEEL AWAY 7 and it will remove the latex paint and the glue in one applicatioon. If it is sheet rock you would have to do it very carefully siunce it could also remove the paper coveering the shet rock. It would be a timing situation for you

Old 10-12-00, 05:37 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hi All, I don't think I was very clear in my earlier post. The gel stripper I refered to was a paint stripper to help remove paint. If some or all of the paint could be removed there may be a shot at removing the glue also.....Mike

Old 10-13-00, 04:33 AM
Visiting Guest
From what I have found out the previous owner of the home used DIF to remove most of the glue. This is a bathroom and the paper was not pre-pasted and was about 20 years old when it was removed. They went ahead and painted over the remaining glue. We have lived with it for awhile but now is the time to do something about it. FYI the walls are drywall. I am considering just sizing and re-papering the room if I cannot find an efficient way to remove the paint and the glue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: