Red paint

Old 10-13-00, 09:05 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm considering painting a stairwell red, but my painter says it will take more coats of red than of white to cover. That doesn't make sense to me! Paint will be going over white "mud" in new construction. Any advice (but please don't tell me not to paint it red)will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-13-00, 03:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Primer and two coats is what is required for new drywall and if it is a quality paint the red should cover in two coats. I have painted red semi gloss in a studio before and it took three coats, but that was more for lap marks in the paint than coverage (it was a big wall).

Old 10-13-00, 03:49 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
FLY, I'll tell you what happens here a lot of the time and it sounds like your painter may be having the same trouble. These paint companies mix their dark colors from a clear base and it will not cover itself. I have painted rooms 4 to 5 times to cover red and yellow, but no more. If the color is only available in a clear or deep base I prime the wall flat black or as deep as it will go in a flat base and 2 coats will cover every time...Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: