Painting old tile floors

Old 09-29-00, 09:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We have been thinking about pulling up our carpet because it is stained from our puppy and our older dog who has a slight incontinence problem. We can't afford to replace the carpeting right now but something needs to be done with it. I know that the floor underneath is the old type of tile and it's black and white checked which won't match our living room. Does anyone know if this type of tile can be painted and if so how do we go about doing it?
Thank you.

Old 09-30-00, 07:07 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
PAH20, You can paint your tile floor but keep in mind that tile is a surface designed to resist almost anything sticking to it so the life of the job may not be as long as a concrete or wood job. Clean the floor with TSP to clean and dull the surface. If there are tackstrip holes use wood filler or putty. Prime with an oil primer. Lightly sand with 220 grit sandpaper. Don't sand the primer off. Sanding an average size room should only take few minutes. Clean dust with a vacuum with a brush attachment and wipe with mineral spirits. Use any good porch and deck paint. These are now available in many great colors besides the gray and reds that we have been used to....Mike

Old 09-30-00, 08:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank's for your advice. We're just doing it as temporary fix until next year sometime. Then we'll be able to do something permanent with it. I was wondering what is TSP? Is it something we could get at Home Depot or Lowes or do we need to go to a specialty store?

Old 09-30-00, 08:44 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I lifted this TSP decription from DIY but don't know who the credit goes to, my guess is 2000.........TSP - trisodium phosphate
An alkaline (Ph 10), non sudsing, non scum forming, white crystalline powder, that is used as a cleaner. It dissolves completely in hot or cold water and cleans by emulsifying oil and grease bound particles, breaking them down so that plain water can rinse them away. Singly and in combination with other ingredients TSP has many uses. It is a common product, sold almost everywhere. Because it is a phosphate and contains a high amount of Sodium TSP substitute is now sold also.
Sample uses:
1 Tbsp TSP + 1 Gal water - general cleaning
4 Tbsp TSP + 1 Qt HOT water - latex brush cleaner
TSP 1 part, Whiting 1 part, water (sufficient) - trowelable paint remover paste......Mike

Old 10-16-00, 11:45 AM
Visiting Guest
I painted a tile floor in my utility room. I simply used Kilz2 (because that is what I had) and a porch/patio paint (very smelly urethane based paint). I chose white and used it on a concrete floor in a sunroom also. It has endured much over the last few months, I even dragged a deep freeze across it and it didn't mark it. I did use a product on it called "steel deck". It is a wax for tile floors. I did that to put a layer between the paint and usage. You can just do whatever you want if it is temporary I wouldn't spend too much time or effort on it.

Old 10-16-00, 04:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

We ran into a bit of a snag last night when we went to Home Depot. The guy who worked in the paint department brought up something that had never crossed our minds. He said that if the tile is very old it might be asbestos. Now we're trying to find out where we can go to see if it is. If it is I don't know what we're going to do. That tile is under just on just about every floor in the house.
If anyone has any advice on this I'd appreciate it!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: