Painting ceramic tile?

Old 09-21-00, 06:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Can one paint ceramic glossy FLOOR tile? Do you paint the grout too? What kind of results can I expect or is this something that those guys that refinish old bathtubs can do too?

Old 09-22-00, 04:12 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Bower, Sorry not much help here from a house painter point of view. There was another post some time back that got no replies so I wanted you, even if uninformative from a painting standpoint, to get one. Ceramic by its nature is made to resist anything bonding to it. I'm sure that the ceramic and fiberglass refinishers could do your job but prepare to dig deep....Mike

Old 10-22-00, 01:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

MIKE, I WORK FOR A TILE CONTRACTOR AND I HAVEN'T HEARD OF ANY ONE PAINTING THEIR TILE. THEY USALLY REPLACE IT. AS FAR AS THE GROUT COLOR YOU CAN GET GROUT COLORANT AT YOUR LOCAL TILE DISTRIBUTOR.

Old 10-23-00, 11:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Bower: I painted my ceramic tile in my bathroom but it was on the wall over bathroom sink. I was advised to use BIN Primer and I could paint over it. I used a latex paint and sponged painted on the tile. Then I used a waterbased varnish over it. I did this a couple of years ago and it still looks great! I liked it so much I painted my tile in the kitchen this year and stenciled on it and then gave it a good varnish! I have gotten lots of complements on it and everyone cannot believe that it was painted on! I bet you could do the floor too as long as you give it several coats of varnish!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: