wood staining

Old 10-27-00, 01:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

can anyone help with how to stain wood. Painters have mixed varnish & stain together & painted with brushes onto french doors. Doors now look like they have been painted with mission brown paint. Builders won't accept responsibility as they say this is the way you stain wood. My argument is this is completely wrong - aesthatically the doors look crap. Can anyone advise where I can get info to proove they are wrong? This has cost us $4,000 to buy doors and they are all but ruined now.

I need to go to a builders dispute committee and they are going to baffle me if I don't have evidence to show in court, that what they did was against all "rules".

Thank you

Sue
Perth - Western Australia

Old 10-27-00, 08:02 AM
Visiting Guest
There are different technics of staining, but I personally have not mixed the stain with the sealer.

I am a comercial/industrial and residential painter in the US, my technic of staining doors is applying the stain (brush, sponge, cloth, I personaly use an airless with a couple helpers for wiping), After applying the stain to entire side of door I use clean rags and wipe it back off with the grain, leaving only the stain that has penetrated, not wiping hard, but just enough to remove ecces stain from the surface, no sanding yet, let the stain dry, apply a coat of sanding sealer, lightly sand to smooth, 2 or more coats of clear.

I stated "no sanding yet", this depends on the condition of the doors, sometimes light sanding is required BEFORE staining.

-----------------------------------------------------

To help prove your argument, I would suggest going to all the hardware and paint stores and picking up any "how-to's" on the subject and useing those, or not, I don't know how they do things in Australia, could be different than my way, I have seen doors and such that look as if they were done in the way you described, definately in my opinion not the way to do it.

[This message has been edited by Chipfo (edited October 27, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: