painting laminate kitchen cabinets

Old 10-24-00, 09:34 AM
Visiting Guest
We have very old,dark,ugly kitchen cabinets. They are made out of plastic or a formica type material. Can they be painted. If so how do we proceed. I need details please. I want to do a good job and make them look nice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-00, 11:42 AM
Visiting Guest
On HGTV Sunday evening, Oct. 22 someone had painted white laminate kitchen cabinets with liquid iron, then used a patina over them. They looked great! I don't know which program it was, but you might www.HGTV.com and see if you can find out.

Old 10-30-00, 10:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I experimented on a small base cabinet,(an old store fixture) that was covered with white laminate. I sanded it lightly to give it a rough texture, then using acrylic craft paint, decorated the top and front with a foliage design. After drying, (@ 24hrs) I tested for durability by rubbing, scratchin a little and cleaning with windex, it stuck.
I went ahead and sprayed on a couple of coats of polyurethane for good measure. It's held up really well, both in the kitchen and now as my nightstand.
Just an idea, you might check out some garage sales and see if you can find an old table or whatever that has the same/similiar finish as your cabinets and experiment. Cheap and nothing to lose.
Good Luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silver1:
We have very old,dark,ugly kitchen cabinets. They are made out of plastic or a formica type material. Can they be painted. If so how do we proceed. I need details please. I want to do a good job and make them look nice. Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>