garage doors

Old 10-24-00, 10:51 AM
Visiting Guest
I posted this question a few weeks ago, but somehow I think it is lost somewhere as I can't access it again, so I will re-post.
I have 2 fiberglass garage doors with metal strips running through them. Each one is a diffeerant color, which I think one is just yellowed from age. My questions is this can they be painted? and how? I posted in garages before And was told it would look like crap. They look awful now but are in great shape. I can't afford to replace right now.thank you for any info.

Old 10-24-00, 12:49 PM
Visiting Guest
This is another site unseen tip:

If you are worried about if the paint will adhere or not then I would suggest an exterior latex DTM (Direct To Metal), that stuff sticks to just about anything. You can get this at Sherwin Williams.

Then again there A-100 should do fine, just make sure it is nice and clean, even lightly sanding it with a 220 grit wouldn't hurt. Make sure to remove any rust and prime(unless using DTM) the metal srips with a rust inhibitive primer.

Old 11-01-00, 11:16 AM
Visiting Guest
thanks for this info. I never saw the responses from my original post(I can't pull it up at all) so I have no idea what I should do to start this project. Should I sand and prime? if I don't use the metal paint suggested, is there a spray paint that can be used? would that give the doors a nicer finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: