white ceiling -color on the wall - best way?

Old 04-21-09, 05:09 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
white ceiling -color on the wall - best way?

What is the best way to "cut in" a color on the wall? I am not very steady handed and have not had good luck with this in the past. I am tempted to try a technique I saw where they painted the ceiling white and a few inches down the wall. They did taped a straight line on the wall and painted the color. The result seemed neat, clean and somehow made the ceiling look higher, at least on TV. Has anybody tried this, or have a better suggestion?

Old 04-22-09, 04:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I always like to bring the ceiling paint down the wall a little, it's quicker and you don't have to worry about a sliver of the old paint showing.

I know diyers like to use tape but it's rarely a good idea. With fresh paint, there is the danger of the adhesive on the tape creating too good of a bond with the new paint causing it to peel when you remove the tape

A good brush and a little practice will go along way. I'd suggest a 2" purdy sash [angle] brush.

Old 04-22-09, 06:08 AM
B
My advice is a little different but I second this: "A good brush and a little practice will go along way. I'd suggest a 2" purdy sash [angle] brush." Depending of the ability to see the cut line should dictate where the two colors meet, until you can cut a nice straight line in the exact corner. If you are in a narrow hallway where all you can do is look up, then I would have the ceiling white come down on the wall a bristle width. When you are in a bigger room and can look across to the far wall and see the cut line, it is better to have the wall color go up onto the ceiling a bristle width. That way you won't see the possible uneveness of ceiling white on wall color. A trick you might have heard about is to slide a broadknife along either the ceiling or wall into the corner, the process will leave a nice thin line to cut to, give it a try. When loading your brush to cut in, dip in the paint an inch, tap in one spot on the pot, take the paint off the side that will be toward the ceiling by moving that edge across the top of the pot above where you tapped, and slide the brush toward the corner an inch down from where yoiu want the final line to be. As you are sliding the brush, you will see a few bristles that protrude a bit, they will be the ones you use to "sneak" up to your cut line, and the paint you left on the other side of the brush will help you slide along until it is gone, then load it up with paint again. The more you practice the better you'll get. Tapping paint in one spot in your pot will leave the rest of the pot clean for leaning your brush while you're taking a beer break, plus it looks very professional.

Billy

Bill

Old 04-23-09, 04:26 PM
H
Evidently I didn't explain this correctly. The technique I saw left the top 2" or 3" of the wall the same color as the ceiling and the wall color started from there down. That way there was no "corner". I do use a 2.5" Purdy angled brush.

Old 04-23-09, 08:18 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It's easier to draw a straight line with a good angled & tapered brush than it is to put painters' tape on straight, wherever the line may be. 2.5 is a little large for me. I use 2 or 1.5" brush.

Old 04-24-09, 03:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing it done like that but would assume they used tape. I doubt they chalked or scribed a line to cut to. IMO the only way you could do something like that and make it look right would be to install some type of moulding at the point you transision from ceiling to wall color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: