painting over urathane

Old 11-05-00, 02:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

What is the best way to paint over urathaned trim woodwork with out sanding or removing the urathane?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-00, 03:05 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by munderhill:
What is the best way to paint over urathaned trim woodwork with out sanding or removing the urathane?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
[REPLY] I have had good luck painting over urathane or any enamel type paint with a flat or acrylic type paint by first rubbing the surface to be painted with Liquid Sandpaper.
This product can be purchased in any hardware store.The surface to be painted, should be totally wet with liquid sandpaper and paint should be applied as soon as this liquid appears dry. Its purpose is to break down the shinny surface so that a non-enamel type paint can adhere to it. Liquid Sandpaper has a very strong odor like paint thinner and you can only apply aways ahead of painting. I used this on a 12X18 ceiling that was enameled and I wanted to change to a flat paint. It was a very stinky job and much slow work, but it worked.