electrostatic paint sprayers

Old 11-12-00, 09:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Has anyone had any experience using electrostatic paint sprayers? I am interested in the Pro3500HC from Wagner, and would appreciate any input. Thanks

Old 11-13-00, 06:00 AM
Visiting Guest
I am not sure exactlly what an electrostatic spayer is, but my husband is just dying to use a sprayer (of some sort that home depot now rents) to paint the exterior of our house with and I am wondering if someone who is unexperienced in using a sprayers should go for it or do it the old fashion way with the brush? Is using a sprayer really going to be that much faster for someone who lacks experience? Could he really screw something up using a sprayer?

Old 11-13-00, 07:02 AM
Visiting Guest
handymom, it depends on what you want to use it for, electrostatic guns are used mainly for industrial or parts painting, some furniture. The way it works is electrically charging the paint and transferring it to a nuetral base, the paint is attracted to the nuetral base and therefore achieving better coverage and less overspray for more info go to this page: http://www.spraytechsys.com/electrostatic/els_faq.html
I do not use them myself.

J, it takes practice and a certain amount of skill to use an airless (or any spray rig), if your husband thinks he can get this down then it is a much faster way to paint. He will need a paint sheild for the roof, brick if any, around the windows, etc. Always be moveing the gun when the trigger is engaged, never stop BEFORE releasing the trigger, not even for an instant. Be sure to mask off the windows and anything else you are not going to paint, drop cloths on the porch, concrete, shrubs, etc. I will usually spray the siding, eves, facia(sheilding the roof), colums, etc. and come back and brush the trim when it has dried. He needs to look over and read any material that Home Depo will have on spraying technics. And most of all, stay away from the tip, it can inject paint under the skin that may have to be surgically removed. Tell him to practice on the big parts of the house and watch out for overspray, use the sheild, and carry a brush with him for runs or sags.
Even if you rent this from Home Depo, I would purchase the paint from a pro paint store, for a quality job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: