painting wooden slats

Old 11-16-00, 10:39 AM
Visiting Guest
I am getting my condo ready to rent out. I need to repaint the closet doors. The doors have those closely placed slats from top to bottom.What is the easiest, and neatest way to paint them? I want to avoid, as much as possible, drips, missed areas, etc.

Old 11-16-00, 08:09 PM
Visiting Guest
I am not sure what you mean by wooden slates. What type of finish is on it now? Is it a stain and clear coat or is it painted.

The best way to avoid drips is to cover the surface you are working over, I will need more info on the surface of the door (slates) and the existing finish to properly answer the question.

Old 11-17-00, 09:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your quick response. The best way I can describe the doors is that they are shingle-like doors. They are painted and I have three sets to re-paint.
Also, I need clarity on you suggestion to cover the surface I'm working over.

Old 11-17-00, 03:53 PM
Visiting Guest
These are unique doors indeed. You could try brushing them if you think you can get into all the little nooks and cranies, paint around the "shingles" getting all sides and bottom and finish by painting the surface of the shingle. Work with a couple shingles at a time untill you get the feel of it.

If that won't work you can purchase little spray bottles at paint stores that you put your own paint into and uses butane for the propellant, you will need to thin the paint and probably have to apply and extra coat, don't spray to thick, to avoid runs.

I would suggest useing the same type paint that is on the doors (oil on oil and latex on latex or you can put oil on latex), if you are not sure what the existing paint is you can purchase a small container of Goof-Off, it will remove latex but not oil, try on a hidden area to find out.

If you are going to brush use card board, drop cloths, or taping down plastic to catch any drips or splatters, avoid useing something the paint can bleed through (such as a thin bedsheet)

If you are going to use the spray bottles, I would remove the doors and paint them in the garage covering the floor and wall with cardboard to avoid overspray.

Be sure to thoroughly clean any dirt, grease, etc and lightly sand with a 220 grit sandpaper, just enough to help the paint adhere, prior to painting.

Hope this helps, post back if needed

[This message has been edited by Chipfo (edited November 18, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: