Paint Cracking! Poor Prep?

Old 11-20-00, 10:39 AM
skaty22
Visiting Guest
Two years ago I moved into a 70 year old house. At the time I moved in there was wallpaper on the top half of the walls and paneling on the bottom half of the walls in the kitchen. I removed both of these items and found that on the bottom half of the walls there had perhaps been tile at one time. This is based on a square pattern that was present on the plaster. What remained were bare plaster walls. I contracted a painter to do the prep and painting for me. Within 6-8 months the paint began to crack. Now the entire kitchen has cracked paint. It is not coming off the walls or peeling but it looks like it could flake off at any minute. Was this poor prep? Can I correct the situation with good prep over the existing pait and a new paint job? Thanks for any advice!

Old 11-21-00, 04:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Site-unseen it is hard to answer, paint can crack due to freezing, poor prep on a glosy surface, too hot, etc. It took 6 to 8 months to crack up, hmm. Did they prime it?

Have you tried a little scraping in a hidden area to see how well adhered it is? If it is still well adhered you could try to re-paint a sample somewhere and see if it covers good, let it sit for a week and see.

You could call the painters and tell them the problem and ask if they will come and look at it and give there opinion, they may re-paint it for you. I wouldn't nesasarily blame them for it until you know why it did this, I cannot answer correctly without looking, sorry.

Old 11-21-00, 05:04 PM
skaty22
Visiting Guest
Thanks Chipfo--I have made many calls to the painter. Many promises to come look but always a no-show. Have chalked this one up to a learning expereince! I'll try your suggestions. If repainting seems like the way to go should I prime first? Can you suggest a primer appropriate for this application over latex paint?

Old 11-21-00, 08:48 PM
Visiting Guest
You could re-prime just to be sure, I would use an oil based wall primer (like kilz)just to overkill, if you don't want to use oil you could use Kilz Total 1 or simular.

First be sure that the existing paint is still well adhered, if it is not, primer won't make it adhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: