Bad painting result with BM paint

Old 04-28-09, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Bad painting result with BM paint

I painted my brand new wooden casement windows with a Benjamin Moore Latex High Gloss. The result of my work is BAD. The cover is not smooth and glossy- it has Stripes… And now my new windows look like they are 100 years old with a build up paint…..
The paint: (Impervex Latex High Gloss Metal & Wood Enamel).
For the job used $7 synthetic brush. Before the paint cover I put two coats of BM primer. When I put the primer- the windows looks OK. But the Paint….. I did expect from that expensive paint that it will cover very evenly. But in the process the paint dried super quickly, when I move the brush on the top (just a moment ago) covered spot – the previous coat was already half dry, and the lines after the brush is huge. The windows were open and the wind breeze added the speed for paint to dry.
And now I don’t know what to do. I already put the 2 coats, was thinking that the second coat will “fix” the problem. But it’s Not.
I tried the roles instead of brush, but do not see much difference (have a bubbles…instead of heavy stripes). I never had such a bad painting experience. I remember when I used the oil base paint – it was always so smooth……
Is this a problem with a Brush, Paint, Wind or Myself?
Any suggestions?? Please help!!!! Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-09, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Pumakat View Post
Is this a problem with a Brush, Paint, Wind or Myself?
Any suggestions?? Please help!!!! Thank you in advance!
Sorry to say the answer is "Myself." The Ben Moore product is a very good one, but not what I would have recommended. I always use oil based satin paint on trim, both inside and out. Ben Moore Satin Impervo inside and BM Gloss Oil out. The tools (brushes, china bristle) to apply oil base paint far exceed that for latex, the paint is much slower drying as well, and thus would have yielded a much better job. So what I would suggest now is to sand what you have with 220 grit sandpaper, prime with an oil underbody, and apply BM Satin Impervo in your choice of color. Do one window first so you get your system and desired results in order, and then proceed around the room.

Good Luck,

Bill

Old 04-28-09, 06:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
If you want to stick with the latex, sand the wood down, dust, shut the windows [almost], thin the paint with floetrol [it will make it slide better and dry a little slower] and reapply. Don't over brush the paint. If you still have trouble, add some water to the paint. Even though that will result in a thinner paint film, you probably have enough paint on already.

Old 05-02-09, 03:46 PM
You also may want to upgrade the brush; a $7 brush probably won't do too well.

SirWired

Old 05-03-09, 11:13 PM
Yep...upgrade the brush too!

Excellent advice above!

I was thinkin' the same as Sirwired!!

You've gotta get into the $12-$18 PER BRUSH range to have a decent tool...Beer 4U2

Purdy "Dales", almost ANY Corona, or the Purdy Chinex series.

Faron

Old 05-04-09, 05:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Yikes, I haven't bought any brushes in a number of years - I'm retired and probably have a lifetime supply

$7 used to buy a decent purdy brush. The only brushes I recall costing $18 were the old 6" block brushes. I guess paint isn't the only thing that's jumped in price at the paint store

Old 05-04-09, 03:31 PM
The nice thing about using oil base paint, is as I said earlier, the quality of the brushes, china and badger bristle, so far exceed any of the latex application brushes. Investing in a nice brush, and keeping it like new in a brush keeper with linseed oil and turps, makes spending a little more, a little easier.

Bill

Old 05-04-09, 11:24 PM
Oil Satin Impervo is a great leveling product. You will get good results with it.

If you wish to use a waterbased product, use the waterborne Impervo. It has good leveling qualities also (not quite as good as the oil - but still good).

A cheap brush will always leave brush marks and ridges.

Old 06-03-09, 04:54 PM
Thank you Mark, Bill, Faron, SirWired and Slatz for all advise!!!

I made the decision don’t do the dramatic “redo”, and do not switch to oil base paint. I already bought this one and it will be no use of it for anything else. Got a FLOETROL in the Home Depot. Want to buy a better brush…didn’t see any… (Probably have to check at Benjamin More store). But anyway, look though my husband’s old stuff and find some not bad quality brush. Sanded and painted in not windy warm day……The result gave me the satisfaction - it’s much smother!!!!!!
Thank you very much all of you!
And now …as I have some “experience” I will try to paint my other new windows before it will be installed.
Return to the Brush issue . Where I can buy the good one?

Old 06-03-09, 05:15 PM
On average Purdy makes a pretty good latex brush, almost any Paint Store carries them.