Priming new cedar trim

Old 05-18-09, 05:09 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Priming new cedar trim

I recently primed some new cedar trim on a small addition to the house with a Latex primer (kilz 2) and I topcoated with a latex paint. I think I may have made a mistake in not using an oil based primer as I can see some staining from a few knots showing through and a few actual drips of what I now have learned from doing some late research (duh) is tannin.

What is the best thing to do at the point? Maybe I should sand lightly, prime with oil, and repaint with the latex paint?

Thanks

Old 05-18-09, 05:49 AM
B
Zinnsser Bin Alcohol primer is the best for knots and pitch pockets that you may encounter, better than Kilz or anything else. Just sand the area, prime the specific spots with two coats of Bin, and you can topcoat with whatever you have. I would have used oil based primer, and it may have contained the knots, but often times even with oil, there'll be some bleeding through. On new woodwork, I try to use clear grain, but if there are knots, Bin them first, then prime with oil.

Take care,

Bill

Old 05-18-09, 03:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I always oil prime cedar when using light colors!

You can try spot priming [scrape off any sap first] but you might notice discoloring of the areas that didn't get an oil base or pigmented shellac primer.

Old 05-19-09, 04:52 PM
B
Knots will ALWAYS bleed through if Bin is not used...ALWAYS.

Old 05-20-09, 03:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I have to disagree. When I lived in fla, most of new houses we painted had cedar trim. We always oil primed the cedar and caulked any voids in the knots. I don't remember ever having any issues with tannin bleed on any primed cedar. The company I worked for painted over a 1000 new houses per year of which my crew painted several 100. Probably a third of them had cedar trim painted white.

I do agree that pigmented shellac like zinnser's BIN is the ultimate stain sealer.

Old 05-20-09, 04:48 AM
B
Most cedar trim and clapboards for that matter were clear, no knots, the main reason it was used. Only in modern times when "everything" is used, do you find knots in cedar and pine. You still can buy clear, for a lot more money. A lot of times when you are in business, you don't get to go back and view the wearing quality of your job, when you are working at home and see it every day, you want to do it right. Zinnsser Bin is simply the best stain sealer.

Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: