What is the best paint brand for kitchen cabinets

Old 05-21-09, 09:20 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile What is the best paint brand for kitchen cabinets

I am looking for a durable, quality paint for our (never before painted) kitchen cabinets. There is so much information out there it can be overwhelming . Apparently within each brand, there are different types (with varying levels of quality).

So, can you suggest what you feel is a great brand as well as the line within that brand.

Thanks so much.

Old 05-21-09, 11:45 AM
S
You just opened Pandora's box....

I will say this,any national brand name top quality waterbourne enamel,assuming the brand has one,would be a good choice.A lot of people just use semigloss enamel just like you'd use for trim etc and as long as it's a top level from a well known national brand it should do ok.Prep work and primer,if needed,is essnetial for a good job.Bare wood likely would benefit from a good water based primer.Most lines have several so go with mid grade or high grade.Prep would include sanding etc on an as needed basis.

Some use and prefer oil based enamels.These are generally durable but require more effort use,clean up after and are generally more expensive with not much advantage to modern latex products.

You'll get a better product from either a paint store or a retailer of a national brand name paint that is not a big box store.Big box retail may carry a name you've heard of but the quality levels will be formulated for price points not durability etc.

Shop where you will get knowledgeable saleshelp.Buy upper level tools and brushes as cheap tools will equal a bad job even with good paint.

Price is often a good way to determine quality.Many brands have multiple levels will similar sounding names so look at price,do a bit of research and go with at least midlevel.

If saleshelp tries to steer you to a low end paint etc go elsewhere.

Old 05-21-09, 03:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Great advice posted above. I would add ... oil base enamel dries the hardest = long wear but whites will yellow. Waterborne comes in a close second in hardness, dries quick and whites won't yellow over time. Latex will not dry to a film near as hard as waterborne or oil base.

Waterborne would be my #1 choice. I've heard some diyers complain that it is hard to apply although I've never had any problems with it. It is not a coating that can be over brushed.

There can be a big difference in latex enamels. The cheaper latex enamels never dry to a hard film and can be marred fairly easy. If you choose to use latex - use only the top of the line.

It's worth repeating that most paint stores will have quality coatings [cheap/inferior ones too] and knowledgable help. The opposite is true of most big box paint depts.

almost forgot
welcome to the forums!

http://forum.doityourself.com/painti...t-repaint.html

Last edited by marksr; 05-22-09 at 04:01 AM. Reason: add link
Old 05-22-09, 07:51 AM
S
If you are looking for specific product names:

Sherwin Williams Waterbourne ProClassic
Ben Moore Waterbourne Impervo

I'm sure there are plenty others, but those two products are easy to find, and have a good track record.

SirWired

Old 05-23-09, 04:15 AM
L
It warms my heart to know that you are willing to take the time to share your knowledge. It's Saturday and I now feel ready to hit the paint store! Given what I've read, I do think I will go to Sherwin Williams rather than a large retail store. All the best and thank you.

Old 05-23-09, 04:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
SWP's proclassic waterborne is IMO the best enamel I've ever used and is my #1 choice. It is a little pricey but should give you the best results. The cheapest paint that I would use from SWP would be their promar 200 latex enamel - not near as good as the waterborne but way better than any latex coatings a big box would stock/sell.

The folks at SWP should be able to help you pick both the right enamel and primer for your needs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: