Painting exterior

Old 05-27-09, 08:17 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting exterior

Hi All,

Looking to paint my exterior. My house is approx 3300 sf ft. I have stucco and some wood trim and brick in the front. Its a tudor style.

what cost am I looking at for a spray on, power washing, 1 coat or 2 coasts. Going with cloverdale paint (Canada).

Is there a per sq ft cost?

Old 05-27-09, 12:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It is hard to bid a repaint at cost per foot. There are too many variables such as landscaping and ease/difficulty accessing the entire job. Wages tend to vary greatly in different regions. It would be best to get 3 or more estimates from local painters. Always check references before hiring!

I'm not familiar with cloverdale paints but most paints cover approx 400 sq ft per gallon on smooth surfaces. Stucco may get significantly less footage than siding. There may also be other costs associated with properly prepping the job for paint. Generally it's best to backroll or back brush the paint after it's sprayed on - that helps to work it into the substrate.

Old 05-27-09, 02:18 PM
B
And ask for a guarantee if possible...

Bill

Last edited by marksr; 05-28-09 at 03:54 AM. Reason: remove unneeded quote
Old 05-28-09, 03:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Good point!!!

I'm so used to standing behind my work I forgot not everyone does

Old 05-28-09, 05:28 AM
B
There's a lot of "trigger men" out there, pull the trigger and you never see them again....

Bill

Old 05-30-09, 01:59 PM
J
From Housepaintinglouisville.com

Not a big fan of spraying on residential exterior repaints. The potential mess and damage from overspray and the extra amount of paint it takes to spray usually offsets the time savings for me. However, as mentioned every exterior job is different and it might make sense to spray your home.

As a professional painting contractor in Louisville, KY we usually cut and roll stucco or dryvit. If we spray we do backroll.

I highly recommend using a hybrid (latex with oil emulsions) paint. They are self priming and will last longer. A flat finish looks better on stucco imo. Benjamin Moore MoorLife, Benjamin Moore Aura, SW Duration, or Porter/PPG Permanizer are some examples of premium hybrid paints.

Good Luck with your project -
JM
Housepaint*******.com

Last edited by marksr; 05-30-09 at 02:44 PM. Reason: removed web site address

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: