Brush Boxes!

Old 05-29-09, 06:41 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brush Boxes!

So, a few years ago a buddy of mine picked up a red metal box from an older retired painter. It had little clips inside to attach your oil brushes to in order to allow the bristles to soak in paint thinner you filled the box with. All the residual paint would basically just drop off and the solids would sink to the bottom of the box. I'm sure I'm over describing this as most of the pros know exactly what I'm talking about.

He got the box for about $5, which I now see was quite a deal. I've only ever seen another one once. It was in a Benjamin Moore store. Someone ordered it, but didn't pick it up. They were retailing it for about $100!

So, to make a long story somewhat shorter...Anyone know where you can pick these up cheaper...or has anyone ever created something to assist in cleaning oil brushes (allow them to soak off the residual paint)?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-09, 01:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 204 Posts
I've never seen a problem with just letting the oil brush set in thinner in a work pot until the end of the day. I have known painters that would run a coat hanger [or any stiff wire] thru the hole in the brush handle and let them 'hang' in the bucket of thinner.

If you are trying to save on thinner - I usually recycle my used thinner and will use the used thinner off of the top of the bucket for my 1st rinse or 2.

I can see $5 being a deal but $100

Old 05-30-09, 03:16 PM
S
Do a google search for "brush keeper" . Advance Tool makes these.

Old 06-01-09, 10:05 AM
B
For both the homeowner and/or a painter set up on a job, here is an easy way to make one. Get a paint pot or empty gallon can. Fill the can or pot half way with a mix of 75% turpentine and 25% raw linseed oil. (The right mix by the way) Next get a coat hanger, and cut the long section to use. Dip all your brushes in the mix to the ferrel, and mark on the handle where the top of the pot or can is. Drill a hole through the handle large enough so the coat hanger can go through, slide all your brushes on, and set them in the pot with the rod resting on top. Bingo you saved a $100. Having a few of these set up, you can keep your varnish brushes seperate from your paint, and/or dark colors seperate from light. If you are going to travel with the kits, the holes can be drilled through the top of the pot or can, so they won't move. The linseed feeds the bristles plus keeps the turps from evaporating. If they will be left idle for a long time, fashion a cover.

And here is a store bought one:

Paint Brush Keeper

Bill

Last edited by Bigg_Billy; 06-01-09 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-01-09, 02:28 PM
W
Thanks guys. I'll check out the links. This box my friend had just looked so convenient, but I'm not blowing $100 on one. I've fashioned things like you guys have described in the past, but was hoping to get something a little sturdier and more transportable. But, as a painter, I should have realized that you can always figure out some crazy way to make things work at the end of the day without blowing a fortune.

Thanks again. Bill.

Old 06-02-09, 06:56 AM
B
WildWill,

Here is where I use to get mine: Johnson Paint in Boston.

Johnson Paint Company

I just called them and they have a couple of the "Red Box, 10 Brush Keepers" in stock....$67.95.

I'm sure they can ship it out if you really want it. 617-536-4244.

This is the best paint store anywhere for anything, Paint.

Bill

Old 06-05-09, 04:08 AM
W
Big Bad Bill, the "Red Box" sounds like what I was looking for. Tried to find it on their site, but it looks like some parts of the site are still under construction. I'll check back later. Thanks for the info though. Might be worth considering.

Off to do touch ups in a customers basement. She had me fill a ton of holes and said she'd provide the paint. Patched, sanded and primed. We're ready to go. I already explained that the patches could look slightly off from the existing paint. She brings me the cans. Almost needed a plasma cutter to get the lids off. Open them up. Solid as a rock. Top to bottom. Ask her how long she's had the paint! "It was here when we moved in 8 years ago."

Shoot me. Thank god it's Friday. Today is not going to be a fun day.

Old 06-08-09, 07:19 AM
B
Originally Posted by wildbill7145 View Post
Almost needed a plasma cutter to get the lids off. Open them up. Solid as a rock. Top to bottom. Ask her how long she's had the paint! "It was here when we moved in 8 years ago."

Shoot me. Thank god it's Friday. Today is not going to be a fun day.
Come on...with a little dynamite you should be able to bring it back to life.....