White Laminate Cabinet Problem

Old 05-31-09, 05:51 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question White Laminate Cabinet Problem

I'm not even sure this is the right forum for this question. We have white laminate kitchen cabinets about 8 years old. One of the lower cabinets was hit by a wheelchair and the laminate in the middle of the door was removed in an area about 3" x 3". Also on the drawers next to the stove, the edges of the laminate are starting to lift and peel from the inside, due to the heat. Is laminate even the right word for this stuff. I originally thought these were painted, but now I see that this covering is almost like a white shrink-wrap especially on the drawers. Are there places I can take these to to have them repaired/recovered or what can be done? Is it a case of replacing the damaged door and or drawer fronts? For all I know the drawers may last another 8 years but it looks like it is starting to become a problem. But the door definitely needs to be taken care of now.

Old 05-31-09, 08:57 AM
S
I'd try businesses etc that do cabinet refacing.That sounds like the nearest similar technique to what was done to your cabinets.Any cabinet retailer/maker/shop etc would be worth trying.

Old 06-01-09, 02:32 PM
B
A cabinet company will be able to remove the peeling edges and re-adhere the pieces, the problem with the damaged door will be matching the laminate color wise. Depending on where the damage is in the door, there are a lot of ornate decoration that you may be able to install over the damage to hide it, i.e. pineapples, apples, etc. Another idea might be if the laminate goes all the way around is to reverse the door.

Bill

Old 06-03-09, 11:36 AM
S
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I have discovered that the "laminate" is in fact a product called Thermofoil which I gather is quite common for white kitchen/bathroom cabinets. I'm afraid the liklihood of repair or coverup to the door front is not good as it is a raised panel door and the damage is right in the raised area and the front panel. I did track back to the manufacturer through the condominium developer's office and fortunately they are able to get me a replacement door for the cabinet. They are about $50 each.

Regarding the peeling edges on the drawers they did mention that the warranty period was 5 years so we are way past that. I've spoken to other owners in the buidling and they are finding the same problem as I have with the drawers, where the "wrap" is starting to crack and peel on the sides right beside their stoves. The good news is that drawer fronts are about $25 each. Thanks again for your help and suggestions. The posibility of painting the cabinet doors has occurred to me but I'm not sure if you can paint over this stuff or how to prepare it to do that. I think I may start a thread on Thermofoil problems and see if there are any experts out there.

Old 06-03-09, 11:45 AM
S
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I think I may start a thread on Thermofoil problems and see if there are any experts out there.
Well forget that. Now that I know the name of the product I find there are already numerous threads on Thermofoil with loads of information I can use.

Old 06-03-09, 01:22 PM
B
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Well forget that. Now that I know the name of the product I find there are already numerous threads on Thermofoil with loads of information I can use.
Yes, sometimes when you find the price of replacement parts and factor that against your time investment in making repairs, replacement is more cost effective.

Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: