Painting heating pipe?

Old 06-05-09, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting heating pipe?

I'm going to need to re-paint the floor to ceiling cast iron steam pipe in my Mom's bathroom. I have no idea when it was last done but the paint now is completely flaking and falling off.

Do I need to use special "heat" paint or will regular paint do the job?

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-09, 06:21 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I'm pretty sure you will find that pipe to be steel, not cast iron, but the answer you want is still the same.

First you need to remove ALL of the flaking paint. Be sure to wear a dust mask at the very least as it is likely the paint is made with lead. Next, use a solvent-based metal primer such as RUST-OLEUM RUSTY METAL PRIMER and paint the entire pipe. Let this dry at least 24 hours and if the primer is thin anywhere repaint with a second coat of the primer.

After the second coat of primer has dried at least 24 hours use a solvent-based (oil base) top coat in the color desired. After this top coat is thoroughly dry (another 24-48 hours) you can, if desired, paint it with a latex paint to be in tune with the rest of the room. If you used a gloss paint after the primer be sure to use a de-glosser on the paint or very lightly sand it just enough to kill the gloss before painting the latex.

Old 06-06-09, 04:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
I agree with the use of solvent based primer and paint but if you wish to paint the pipe the same color as the walls, you can get a quart of oil enamel mixed to the wall color.
That said, if you apply 2 good coats [complete coverage, no missed spots] of oil primer, you can get by with apply latex wall/trim paint over the primer.

Latex doesn't adhere well over oil base enamel! Liquid deglosser or sanding will help but latex still won't have a great bond to the oil enamel although it may be years before it started to peel again.

Old 06-06-09, 05:14 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Thanks for the correction, Mark. It was my dad who was the painter.