covering dark red and blue

Old 06-09-09, 06:21 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question covering dark red and blue

We are buying a new house and the kids' room currently has 2 red walls and 2 blue walls. By daughter has her heart set on a light pink room.
1. I am wanting advice on which paint to purchase that will cover the best and look the most even
2. If I buy good quality paint, is priming still necessary and if so which primer do you recommend
Thanks.

Last edited by wyatt; 06-09-09 at 06:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-09, 09:27 PM
B
Benjamin Moore has a new product out called "Aura" which has the closest thing to one coat coverage I've seen so far. It IS pricy, but it seems to make up for itself in coverage.

You don't technically need to use a primer, just clean the walls if needed and give them a quick sanding.

Old 06-10-09, 04:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Welcome to the forums Wyatt!

While there might not be any adhession issues from not using a primer, you will probably get better coverage by using the right primer. I'd suggest going to your local paint store [not big box paint dept] They can help you pick the best primer/paint for your needs. They also have better coatings [advice too] than the typical paint dept.

Old 06-10-09, 04:24 AM
W
Has anyone used Benjamin Moore's "Aura"?

Old 06-10-09, 06:15 AM
B
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Welcome to the forums Wyatt!

While there might not be any adhession issues from not using a primer, you will probably get better coverage by using the right primer. I'd suggest going to your local paint store [not big box paint dept] They can help you pick the best primer/paint for your needs. They also have better coatings [advice too] than the typical paint dept.
As noted, it will be quicker, brighter, and better in the long run, to prime with white, 2nd coat with primer tinted to your pink color, and finish with your pink product, rather than monkeying around trying to cover with finish paint, probably needing 3 coats of that. BM Aura as mentioned is a great product for the finish coat....

Bill