Painting floating shelves

Old 06-14-09, 08:42 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting floating shelves

My wife and I are looking for floating shelves and we've found several that would work fine, but they are already black, white or a wood color. (We were looking for unfinished.) Anyway, they appear to be some type of plastic. Would it be possible to paint these? We want to use latex paint that will match our walls.
These are the ones we're looking at: Creative Connectors: Orna-mantel Shelf, Home Decorative Shelving
Thanks

Last edited by AndyK; 06-14-09 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-09, 09:26 AM
S
Buried in the FAQs is that these shelves are coated with melamine which is basically a resin coating.I'm not sure any regular wall paint even primed would do well on this type of surface.

Perhaps some of the painters here have some experience with it or you might do some serious research but you're better bet is to try and find shelving with a regular polyurethane or similar finish as those can be primed and painted with reasonable success.

Old 06-14-09, 11:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 204 Posts
If I had to paint them, I'd probably use BIN for a primer.

Have you considered making your own out of plywood? cover the edge with banding.

Old 06-18-09, 07:41 PM
Q
You can paint them, most definitely use a primer, I'd use one designed for metal or furniture as they are "stickier" so they adhere to the smoother surface. If you want your paint color to last, I would also apply a polyeurethane sealer coat, (you can buy them in the same sheen as your walls to help it blend.)

But I also agree that you could build these easily. I'm sure there is a video somewhere on the web.

Old 07-01-09, 11:07 AM
T
I recently bought a dresser that was made out of particle board, but coated with that same type of material. A laminate/plastic of some sort with a faux woodgrain on it.

First, sand the shelves down with probably 200 grit sandpaper til you see small white specs. Wipe clean of course. Then apply an oil based primer. Then lightly sand the primer to smooth it out. Then paint with your color choice. I used a foam roller for my applications. It came out very smooth.

The primer is an ESSENTIAL step. Or else your work will be blotchy and weird.

But, I'm just an amateur. So don't completely rely on my thoughts. This is just what worked for me.