Painting Italian mirror frame [Pictures]

Old 06-17-09, 10:57 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting Italian mirror frame [Pictures]

Hello,

I am new to furniture painting so I am looking for some suggestion to paint an old mirror frame.

All I am reading is that I need to sand paper before, but with the design it is very difficult to reach all the corners.
  1. Is there a product I can use to spray on top and then brush off the dirt?
  2. Do I have to spray on prime before spraying on new paint?
  3. What paint should I go for and how many times should I spray it on? (I am looking for a white, high gloss finish)

Thanks for any help

Old 06-17-09, 12:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

#1 - don't understand

#2 - primer is used for raw surfaces, over finishes where paint might not bond well and to hide stains or anything that may make it hard for the finish paint to cover. You would want to use a primer on this frame.

#3 - the number of coats depends on how well the paint covers

Old 06-17-09, 01:51 PM
F
Thanks!
Regarding point 1 - I can´t use sandpaper on all the details (example the pearl-boarder) so I was thinking to clean it somehow so I get a "raw" finish to spray the new coat of paint to?

Or do I just spray on primer straight on top of the old paint?

Beer 4U2

Old 06-17-09, 01:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As long as it's relatively clean it would be ok.

Old 06-17-09, 02:23 PM
B
It looks like you will be painting over a few different finishes in doing your mirror over, white paint, gold leaf or paint, and likely a glaze of some sort. I would make up a solution of TSP and water, use a tooth brush to wash all the surfaces, and then rinse. If you can find some Zinnsser Bin in a spray can, I would use that product as a primer, if it isn't readily available, some white spray primer will do. Then finish with your high gloss white. BUT, I think most folks would love to have it just the way it is.......

Bill

Old 06-18-09, 07:36 PM
Q
As a decorative painter, I do stuff like this all the time (Decorators love to tweak the finish on a mirror or furniture). Since it doesn't appear to be flaking or cracking (if it is, take a wire brush to it, they make baby brushes for the crevices) you should be fine just spraying a basic primer. To get a high gloss finish, I think you'll need 2-4 coats, I prefer to do several light coats so I can get a nice even sheen and avoid runs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: