Why is some of my "roll on purple dry white" ceiling paint still purple?

Old 06-17-09, 11:12 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why is some of my "roll on purple dry white" ceiling paint still purple?

We're in the final stretch of our kitchen remodel. On Friday, the plaster guy was in and blended in the new plaster on the ceiling were I removed the soffits with the nearly 40 year old existing plaster ceiling (which has who knows how many coats of paint). He said we'd be OK to paint it on Tuesday (yesterday). So yesterday afternoon we painted it with Valspar's color changing ceiling paint that goes on purple and dries white.

Most of the 10' x 12' ceiling had started turning white before I was even done. And by last night it had all turned white, except where the new plaster was blended with the old plaster where the soffits used to be. The soffits were about 14" wide from the wall, and now from the wall out about 10" the paint is all white, then from about 10" - 18" from the wall (were the old and new plaster was blended), it's still a light purple - even now 24 hours later. We've had a fan on it, but it doesn't seem to be getting any whiter/dryer.

The cabinets are being installed Friday and I really wanted the ceiling painted and finished before then, but now I'm getting worried. Are the last purple areas going to ever dry? Or is something seriously wrong? And if so, how do I fix it?

Thanks.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-09, 12:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
I've never used any of the color changing ceiling paint but I wonder if the plaster was painted too soon and/or not using a primer caused the problem.

I would apply another coat of paint before the cabinets come.

Old 06-17-09, 01:57 PM
I
Most of the paint on the new plaster dried white just fine. The only purple areas are where he skim coated new plaster over the old plaster to blend them together. It looks like it might be getting a little whiter. I'll have to see how it looks in the morning and then decide about another coat.

Should I put a primer over the purple spots first if I decide to do another coat of ceiling paint?

Old 06-17-09, 02:16 PM
B
Plaster not only dries, it cures, most folks advise waiting to paint new plaster for 30 days, or until you can strike an old fashion match on it and it lights...there was and is likely a high moisture content still left in the plaster. I would not add another coat of paint until the purple has gone white...or you may further trap moisture where you don't want it......