Filling nail holes

Old 06-21-09, 06:45 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filling nail holes

What is the best material for filling nail holes in exterior wood sidiing, wood trim, and vinyl trim?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-09, 06:07 AM
B
I use oil base DAP glazing when using oil based paints, an their latex version when using latex paints. I'm not a fan of using hard hardening patching compounds in wood, as most "pop" when the wood expands and contracts with normal humidity fluctuations...

Bill

Old 06-22-09, 02:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I like to use SWP's 66 glazing - it isn't as oily as the DAP and keeps my fingers cleaner

What kind of nail holes do you have in the siding?

Old 06-22-09, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hey guys...and suobs...I see vinyl trim...as in PVC? Will the stuff you mentioned work for that or would a caulk be a better choice?

Old 06-22-09, 03:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've not painted a lot of vinyl/pvc but I don't ever remember any issues with using putty/glazing filling nail holes in it.

Old 01-07-12, 05:12 AM
S
Going back to this and answering marksr's question from a couple of years ago, I meant

(a) the little holes from countersunk finish nails on trim, including wood and vinyl
(b) larger depressions up to 1/4" left when siding nails get overdriven in T1-11 or fiber-cement lap siding
(c) other small holes and impefections I might want to fill on plywood, wood, fiber-cement, etc.

Glazing compound on all?

Old 01-07-12, 05:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There really isn't one product that's best for all. For the most part, painter's putty or window glazing will work on all of the above but I've found that caulking over driven nails on siding is quicker and seals the depression a little better than putty. Putty will hide a hole/depression better than caulk will.

There are other products that might be used also although they are best chosen on a case by case basis.

Old 01-30-12, 10:12 AM
R
Hi,

I will suggest you to go with Vinyl speckling to filing nail holes. It is very easy to sand and dries fast. dap33 glazing is gives good result.