painted new plastic shutters..what went wrong

Old 06-23-09, 01:48 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painted new plastic shutters..what went wrong

bought shutters at home depot...used behr/with primer exterior paint. paint peels off easily.
what's the solution.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-09, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Did you get the paintable shutters, grey plastic I think,..not vinyl in another color? Even the paintable ones need to be wiped down with a solvent cleaner I believe.

Some will say it was the Behr paint...but any paint won't stick if the surface isn't suitable or not prepped correctly. I've used plenty of Behr (actually wifey has, I fix, she paints...lol) with no real issues, though it may not be as good as some brands.

Old 06-23-09, 02:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 204 Posts
Ya, the number 1 thing is to make sure the substrate is clean!

You can also add a little emulsa bond [made by flood] to the 1st coat to insure good adhesion. About all you can do now is remove the loose paint and start over

Old 06-23-09, 04:02 PM
B
Yup the plastic has mold release agent on it so they can get it out of the mold easily after pouring in the plastic. So get a piece of 3M pad or steel wool and get the loose paint off, wipe the surface with Willbond, add a little to some oil base paint, and paint them over, spray is best.....

Old 06-24-09, 03:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 204 Posts
Willbond/deglosser will do a good job of cleaning new shutters but care must be used as it can slightly melt the plastic. IMO it's better to use latex paint as latex is m ore flexable than oil base. I'd be leary that the vinyl would expand/contract causing oil base paint to peel

Old 06-25-09, 04:17 AM
B
PRIME PRIME PRIME

XIM vinyl primer works very well (although I testing "Stix" right from Insul-x) on plastic. Plastic is a very hard substrate to get product to stick to, even the "ready for paint" stuff. We have many problems getting products to stick. and what may stick once may not stick again do to a change in the plastic resin. XIM's Vinyl primer works pretty well on most plastics. It is ALWAYS recommended that you do a test sample and cross hatch test on any hard to coat surfaces.

If you go to a real paint store and not a big box or hardware store, they should be able to set you up with a good primer for exterior plastics and a good top coat. The box stores know nothing about coatings.

Last edited by bclacquer; 06-25-09 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-26-09, 05:22 PM
S
It may be surface contamination (mold release agents or other) that has prevented a good bond.

It may also be that the paint has simply not cured long enough. Plastic is tough to get strong early adhesion to. A primer will help with this. How long ago were the shutters painted? Latex paints will scratch or "peel" off plastic until the paint cures sufficiently - usually a few weeks.

Old 06-29-09, 12:01 PM
B
Originally Posted by Bigg_Billy View Post
Yup the plastic has mold release agent on it so they can get it out of the mold easily after pouring in the plastic. So get a piece of 3M pad or steel wool and get the loose paint off, wipe the surface with Willbond, add a little to some oil base paint, and paint them over, spray is best.....
Krylon also makes some great plastic bonding sprays, may be tough to get your custom color though.