Dark Gray Paint - scuffed?

Old 06-24-09, 11:03 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dark Gray Paint - scuffed?

I have a very dark gray accent (flat, no gloss) wall that got "scuffed" by some cardboard boxes I was carrying. There are 4 coats of paint and I didn't bump the wall very hard.

However, the contact left the dark paint with a kind of powdery lighter colored streak/discoloration. I'm not sure if I permanently scratched the paint or if I can just scrub it out (too scared to try). Thanks for any help!

Old 06-24-09, 01:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You might try washing the affected area with some mild soap/water and a soft rag.

Old 06-24-09, 03:20 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Gently - flat paint doesn't usually take well to scrubbing. I'm not as confident as Mark, I think you may have to repaint.

Old 06-24-09, 11:40 PM
F
Flats may touch-up better...

You're "lucky" in a sense that it's a flat!

Flats touch-up the easiest of all the sheens.

1st however...
* Lightly clean the smudges off using a very slightly damp cloth that doesn't lint.
* Use soft "blotting" motions...NOT horizontal scrubbing!!
* The "streak" you're seeing is actually the cardboard residue!

Flats are a "coarser" surface finish, with little smooth "binder-resin", which helps higher-sheen paints wash well.

2nd step...
* When area is dry, dab on a FAINT trace of touch-up paint from lint-free cloth.
* IF you can hardly see it...it's enough.
* Wait an hour to see if more is needed. Keep lightly building-up the touch-ups.
* The whole key is the layering of barely-visible touch-ups!

Faron

Old 06-25-09, 04:14 AM
B
the streak is not cardboard residue. It sounds like it is a dark color. These are notorious for "marring" or doing exactly what you are seeing. You should be able to touch it up fairly well because it is a flat. There is no permanent fix. You could repaint with a shinier paint, it will help a little. There are very very few paints on the market that are specifically designed to have minimal marring and when they do mar, the mark will be slightly dark so as to be less noticeable. It took the chemists at the company I work for a few years to develop such a product.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: