Spray Painting over Brass

Old 06-27-09, 09:42 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spray Painting over Brass

I have 2 brass strips across my fireplace which are a decorative touch to the remaining flat black strips which make up the balance of the air/in and air/out fireplace face. I would like to paint these brass strips flat black to hopefully blend-in. I know I can buy a spray can of flat black intended for metal but do I need to put a base coat or primer on first?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-09, 10:07 AM
S
First you need to determine if the strips are solid brass or just plated and if they have any sort of protective coating on them.It is common for brass,especially solid brass items,to be coated with cleatr lacquer.Another related question is do these strips get exposed to significant heat.

Can you remove the strips?

If they do not have a coating and do get exposed to heat from a fire I'd use high heat flat black spray paint.I'd lightly scuff sand the metal to help with adhesion and make sure the surfaces are clean.

If they do have a lacquer coating if it was me I'd soak them on lacquer thinner and remove it to eliminate any possible reaction from what you top coat with.I'd also give them a coat of a clean metal primer before top coating with the black,which would not need to be high heat if not exposed to heat above 120 or so.But I will add that I'd be going a extra safe route and the removing and priming might not be needed but if you didn't do that you'd want to experiment and make sure there wasn't any issues with the paint on the coating.

Old 06-29-09, 02:48 PM
B
Originally Posted by SC Bob View Post
I have 2 brass strips across my fireplace which are a decorative touch to the remaining flat black strips which make up the balance of the air/in and air/out fireplace face. I would like to paint these brass strips flat black to hopefully blend-in. I know I can buy a spray can of flat black intended for metal but do I need to put a base coat or primer on first?
Yes, I would use both high heat primer, and high heat flat black, both usually available at most auto part stores.....

Bill

Old 07-01-09, 04:30 AM
T
I kept my brass painting simple.

I had a brass entry ceiling light and also a brass kitchen hanging light. They were el cheapos so I am sure they were just coated.

I just sanded them down enough to scuff em up. Then I spray painted them with a flat black. 97 cent walmart cans.

Believe it or not, they look wonderful. The paint is sticking and everything. I guess I like the K.I.S.S. method. haha!