staining

Old 06-28-09, 05:31 PM
W
wwc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
staining

Can the same type of stain used for composite doors to have a faux wood grain be used for plastic ?

will it adhere to plastic the same ?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-09, 03:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
What type of plastic door do you have?
Is it a fiberglass entry door?

Old 06-29-09, 02:45 PM
B
Generally faux finishes require a base or ground coat and then a coat or more of glaze (stain) application to assimulate wood grain. Whatever preparation which would be normal for your door for your ground coat of paint, would be the same. So wash, sand, degloss, and apply. When simulating wood grain, it is best to apply the paint by brush, to avoid any patterns that may appear non-wood like.

Bill

Old 06-29-09, 02:58 PM
W
wwc
what i'm wanting to do is paint some water barrels to look like wooden ones and be more attractive than blue or white plastic barrels.

So is there a special primer I need to use first. I have seen a aplication tool that simulates wood patterns and was thinking of using that also.

I haven't found any web links for instructions or even photo's of this project, so any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Old 06-29-09, 03:15 PM
B
Krylon makes spray bombs for priming/painting plastic. I would buy the primer and read to see if you can coat over it with a faux kit, probably latex, but possible oil depending on the brand. The tool you are referring to works pretty good, but graining is an art, and there are books that can help, Amazon has a couple good ones...take a look.

Bill