Help with Bathroom Wall Painting

Old 07-01-09, 08:23 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with Bathroom Wall Painting

I'm wondering if it would be possible to paint over the wall covering in my bathroom and if so what exactly I would use.

I'm not exactly sure what you call the wall covering that I already have in this room. To just look at the pattern/style it looks like rectangular tiling with a rose pattern. However, I know it was glued on in sheets similar to paneling and is like a thick cardboard when you place a nail in it. The rectangles are smooth to the touch.

Old 07-02-09, 04:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It can probably be painted, might require a solvent based primer.

Can you supply a pic using a free site like Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket ? so we can get a better idea of what you have.

Old 07-02-09, 08:34 AM
P
Bathroom Photos

Not sure if the pictures will help much, but here are a couple of links with them.

Bathroom Photo 1

Bathroom Photo 2

Old 07-02-09, 02:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It looks like the paneling that is often used in mobile home kitchens and baths. They paint well if a good solvent based primer is applied first. I'd recomend using zinnser's BIN primer and then top coating with a quality latex enamel.

Old 07-10-09, 09:03 AM
G
Yes, you can paint over the wallcovering.

Hi. You can definitely paint over the wallcovering, as long as it's not a shiny paper; paint needs to have a profile for it to sit on....be careful not to put on too thick a coat a paint, as it may cause the wall covering to fall off. Also, wash the wall covering thoroughly before painting. Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: