Stain over Painted Latex?

Old 07-02-09, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stain over Painted Latex?

Hi:
I want to stain a small section of my wooden fence. The problem is that I painted it not stain, but 'Latex,' or 'oil-based' white paint more than ten years ago.

Is there any way for me to stain it over painted 'Latex' or oil-based painted wooden fence?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-09, 10:06 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stain must be able to penetrate the wood to work.If there is a coating on the wood that would block that ability it will not work.You would need to remove all traces of the existing paint for stain to work.Paint that old might come off fairly easily but it would likely need sanding to clear the wood of paint traces and possibly to open pores that might have residue in them.

Old 07-02-09, 02:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 227 Votes on 202 Posts
What type of stain do you want to use? what shape is the current paint in?

I have successfully switched from paint to solid stain where the old paint was in poor shape and prep removed 90% of the old paint. If your wanting to use a semi-transparent or translucent stain, you've got your work cut out for you - those types of stains will pretty much need all the paint removed and the wood consistently clear of any paint residue that would affect the wood's ability to obsorb the stain.