Prep-work for SWP

Old 07-03-09, 06:38 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prep-work for SWP

First post, so here goes...

I am going to take advantage of SWP's 30% off sale and buy some of their upper-end paints (Cashmere or SuperPaint) in light neutral beige and green to paint the interior of my new home. Currently all of the walls in my house are painted a flat white, with little to no touch-up needed before painting.

What prep-work would you recommend, i.e. scrubbing, priming, etc., on the walls prior to painting? Also, what types of rollers and brushes would you recommend?

I appreciate any help offered! I'm a brand new homeowner, but I'm pretty handy and strong-willed to do some serious DIY in the future.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-09, 08:18 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In your case if the walls are clean and in good condition you may not need to do much prep.It doesn't sound like you need to prime again unless the walls are in poor condition or have something on them that might bleed through.If that's not the case you'd want a better grade stain blocking primer.If the walls are dirty scrub them down with TSP and water then rinse well and let dry.

As for tools talk to the SWP folks and choose better to top grade tools,brushes etc.Better tools will make for a much better job as well as an easier job.Use synthetic brushes with latex paint and low nap rollers.

Old 07-03-09, 03:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You say the walls are currently flat white, is it a quality paint or is it a builder's special? Sometimes it can be benificial to prime over the cheap builder paint - some builders don't even use primer on the walls

Unless there are areas that are extra dirty, especially if there are oils of any kind [including skin] I don't do a lot of cleaning before repainting. That's not to say it doesn't hurt to have a clean surface to apply paint to - just that it usually isn't cost effective for a interior painting contractor.

I agree with asking SWP for their advice for tools to apply whichever coating you purchase. I'd use a 1/2" lambs wool cover but I am old school. Many like the synthetic or synthetic blend covers..... and they are cheaper. M ost diyers should do good with a 2" sash [angle] brush. Don't be afraid to spend some $ on a good brush. If kept clean and stored in it's wrapper [to keep shape], a brush can last a long time.