How to use Gloss, semi-gloss, flat for trim and windows?

Old 07-03-09, 07:08 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How to use Gloss, semi-gloss, flat for trim and windows?

My contractor left some paint behind from a job painting the hallway.
In general my house is painted in a flat "off-white". There is also semi-gloss and gloss paint left behind. I figured gloss would be for the baseboards.

What is typical in such a situation?
gloss for baseboard, window trim and windows?
semi-gloss for?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-09, 07:58 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some of this is personal preference but generally speaking semi-gloss is used for trim.I'm not sure what the high gloss might have been used for in a hallway.You should be able to tell what is on the trim of the hall.The shine difference between high gloss and semi is relatively evident.Part of your choice would be if you're trying to match other trim in the area.Flat is rarely used for trim.

Old 07-03-09, 08:36 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The only thing that looks like gloss are the entry doors. Maybe this makes sense?
Also, I just discovered a small satin can with the same paint.
Is there any typical use of satin?

BTW, looking at the existing stuff drives me crazy. It seem I have a mix. Some of the decorative trim, like around the fireplace seems to be less than semi-gloss. But I'm not sure anymore if there is a difference between the wall and the trim. It could look slightly different just because the wall paint has been sprayed over the trim,....
Some baseboard trim looks like semi-gloss...

Old 07-03-09, 09:41 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It appears what you are dealing with is someone else's personal choices and desire to have a variety of looks.Do what you like and want.Satin can be wall or sometimes trim.

If you decide to cover any gloss finishes be sure to prep them well by scuff sanding with VF sandpaper,cleaning well.

Old 07-03-09, 03:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
Why don't you ask the contractor which paints go where!

I've always been fond of using gloss on the trim [doors,windows,casing, base] but it often depends on the customer's wishes. All the woodwork should have used the same sheen. Satin [or maybe the semni-gloss] may have been used in the bath rms and kitchen.

Depending on lighting, angle of view and texture - the same paint can appear more/less shiney.