ceiling same or different color when installing crown?

Old 07-05-09, 04:41 PM
L
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
ceiling same or different color when installing crown?

I love my bleached denim test wall in my living room and initially thought I would paint the room (measures 21x17 with a 13x5 ft window so plenty of light) all the same color. However a friend said it would look better with a lighter blue (kind of looks like the sky) and i bought a test can of that and just put a bit on the ceiling. I probably should put more on to convince myself either way (just did a 2 ft spot near the wall) but i'm not so sure i like it.

so while i know it's my room and i can do what i want, is there a general rule about different colored ceilings with crown installed? I've lived with a peach living room and white ceiling for over a decade so admit i'm biased against different colored ceilings.

my bedroom is a plum perfect on walls and ceilings and so i do know what it's like to have a room totally the same dark color (that room is smaller) and i do like it. And i just figured all the same color in the living room then some bright white on the dental crown would really set off the crown. I may also add framing around my 13x5 window and a smaller window too so that would be the same color as the crown for sure.

Also, now i'm thinking about my heating baseboards...they are currently white and old looking and part of me says do the same bright as the crown but part of me says do the same color as the walls. In my kitchen whoever painted in there matched the green in the wallpaper and painted the baseboards the same color and it does hide the baseboard rather well.

this is the color I chose for my living room walls

Last edited by luckydriver; 07-05-09 at 06:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-09, 04:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
There really isn't any wrong or right answers. I prefer the tradional white ceilings, many will take a lighter shade of the wall color for the ceiling [often 1/2 wall color formula] and painting the walls and ceiling the same color is often cheaper and quicker.

Since wood trim should be painted with an enamel, it will be shinier than the walls giving it some contrast, the color difference will make the woodwork stand out more.

Old 07-07-09, 12:14 PM
L
how do you do that..just go to the home depot guy and say hey, i have this color here, make me 1/2 the formula so it's lighter?

Old 07-07-09, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Doubt someone at HD or Lowes will be able to do that. We always just use the color on the sample cards and just move up or down one card for a compatible color. If it was a custom match..you'd be better off taking the original to a good paint store and asking for what you need.

Old 07-07-09, 12:37 PM
L
hmmm i know the behr tools online enable you to lighten /darken etc so maybe will check that out tonight to see what is lighter but on the same color scale

Old 07-07-09, 01:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
I don't know how capable [or not] the help at a big box paint dept is but I've never had any problem at a real paint store having them mix up 1/2 or even 1/4 formula. For 1/2 tint, all you do is shoot 1/2 as much [of each] colorant in the bucket.