rotary-disc airless paint sprayer?

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-09, 10:15 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rotary-disc airless paint sprayer?

Years ago I had a 110v sprayer I bought at Sears (I think) that sprayed the paint out with a spinning disc. I LOVED that sprayer because I could use almost any paint without thinning it first. Does anyone know if these type sprayers are still available on the market? Does anyone out there know what the heck I am talking about? Thanks in advance for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-09, 04:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the "spinning disc"

Are you referring to an airless sprayer? maybe a hand held one? Most airless pumps will spray the majority of coatings with little/no thinning. Wagner makes the most commonly seen diy type airless although there is little comparison between it and a commercial duty type airless.

Old 07-08-09, 07:42 PM
S
I know what you are referring to. They were called rotary sprayers. I haven't seen one in 15-20 years. I think they are now extinct. The Wagner type of electric airless cup guns probably caused these to disappear from the marketplace.

Old 07-10-09, 04:45 PM
A
Thaks, Slatz, at least now I know I am not crazy! Marksr, read Slatz input. That spinning disc type sprayer would spit out whatever consistency you put in the feeding cup, thinned or not! The airless sprayers pump the paint out but won't handle latex right out of the can. It is too thick. Oh, well, I can't find FanTan gum or Smith Bros. licorice cough drops anymore either. Gettin' old.

Old 07-11-09, 04:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Ok, let me try again, cottin' pickin' dial up ate my post

Not all airless pumps are equal. While I suspect a diy type pump would require thinning of latex, most commercial type airless pumps do not. I have 2 small titan airless's that pump about 3 qts per minute - they will spray most any latex straight out of the bucket. I used to work for an outfit that had several graco 733's [pump 3 gpm] Those pumps are capable of spraying block fill and elastromeric paint unthinned.

I've sprayed and/or been around spray equipment for 40yrs but had never heard of a rotary sprayer until now.

Old 07-19-12, 02:25 PM
F
rotary airless paint sprayer

I know of two models. I own, and love both models. Both are discontinued and most likely available, used, in the Midwest where they were manufactured. One is the Polaris Rotary 3000. Mostly constructed of plastics, except the metal motor housing. The product was bought out by the Polaris ATV and snowmobile company. I think they were based in Minnesota. Except for building up paint and occasionally spitting out larger blobs of paint, it was a wonderful, quiet and friendly unit. Wiping excess paint off of the red plastic width_regulator-gate frequently, removed the splatter problem. Another product was the Electro Engineering Rotary Airless paint gun. They were based in Chicago and manufactured a variety of tools. Their paint sprayer was all metal construction. It is a more refined unit than the Polaris but are very rare to find. A person in Florida was spraying flammable materials with it and it caught fire and sued the company. I don't know if this is why they are no longer made. I am a fine artist and use the sprayers to spray...or rather, throw acrylic varnish onto my paintings as final coats. Other methods can create bubbles and I don't like the results as much. I have been using my units for over twenty five years and they have performed well. Good luck on your search to finding some units for yourself.

Old 07-19-12, 03:39 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The original poster has not been on the forum for three years so it is unlikely he will see your post but thank you for responding.

Closed Thread