Primer and Roller??

Old 07-08-09, 05:44 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Primer and Roller??

Hi,

I'm painting over a dark purple room and have used First Coat Primer (Wallauers) and I am not pleased the result. Can someone here tell me what the best brand primer is to use to cover dark paint? Also, I'm using a Wallauers 3/8 nap roller to paint the smoooth sheetrock walls and ceiling. Getting a lot of lines. Is this the correct nap size to use? Thank you very much. Sean

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-09, 08:01 AM
S
Not familiar with the brand but there are some general questions:

What color do you intend to top coat with?What about the primer are you unhappy with?What quality level was the primer that you used and what kind..latex,oil?

If you are expecting primer to cover purple without showing through it probably isn't going to do that nor is it intended to.

Most upper grade primers in any well known national brand,well known sundires brand such as Zinsser or well considered store brands such as Ace or True Value will do the job you need it to do.Depending on your eventual color you can use a tintable primer to help cover and help your top coat cover.You can use more than one coat if you want.If you are using a latex top coat use latex primer and use the best grade available.

The job if the primer is to assist not to completely cover.

As for rollers again use top to mid grade tools,brushes and rollers.Cheap low grade tools will give you trouble regardless of how good the paint is.

Old 07-08-09, 09:17 AM
S
Appreciate it SP. Have the Mrs. picking up another gallon of primer tinted with the Peach Cloud color we plan on using. The primer I used is a good quality according to the guy in the paint shop. It is a latex primer. One quick follow-up question if you don't mind. What is a better nap size to use on smooth sheetrock walls - 3/8 nap or 1/2 nap? Thx Sean

Old 07-08-09, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No painting Pro (I prep..wife paints) but you should be OK with 3/8". I believe I have seen some say they use 1/2' for smooth walls and larger for textured. I think some of that is the fact a 1/2" nap will hold more paint.

If you read back through this forum over the last couple of weeks you will find good advice on how to avoid lines and proper paint techniques. Forget the W and M pattern stuff that they do on DIY shows. There are tips on how to orient the roller frame as you work around the room and explanations of roll on and roll off. More than I can give you here.

Old 07-08-09, 10:07 AM
S
With primer 3/8 is fine as long as it isn't a cheap disposable roller cover.

As for technique it really ultimately is that everyone has a preference and technique they like.Since you are priming you have the luxury of experimenting because your top coat will cover it.

Old 07-08-09, 12:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
I prefer 1/2" nap on slick walls and it does hold more paint Probably the main cause for roller lines is pressing too hard on the roller and stretching a roller full of paint further than it should go. Keeping the roller cover full of paint and lightly pushing the roller up and down both makes for a better looking and easier job!

As an apprentice [many years ago] I remember the N pattern working well when rolling oil base wall paints but it's a waste of time with latex. A simple up and down [1 roller full] and then back rolling the previous stripe with the now 'not so wet' roller works best.

Old 07-08-09, 02:31 PM
S
Great...thanks everyone for the tips....appreciate it...

Old 07-10-09, 09:07 AM
G
Quick thing on Wallauers

Wallauers is a chain of stores...so, the paint and rollers you are using are private labelled, and probably not that good. You're better off using a BEnjamin Moore, or Sherwin williams, with a 1/4" purdy roller for the primer, and 3/8" for the finish coat.

Old 07-10-09, 10:21 AM
S
Private label paint sundries are made by various vendors some better than others.

Shure-Line makes many and is of a medium quality level.Wooster also makes some and is a better quality product.

Judging quality of these products solely by the fact of them being private label is faulty and imperfect.Many companies have standards that prevent private label product from being of but so low a quality level.

Old 07-10-09, 01:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
IMO using a 1/4" nap roller on walls would be a waste of time, 3/8" would be ok although as stated before, I prefer 1/2" - it holds more paint = you get done quicker

The only thing I'll ever use 1/4" nap for is when rolling doors or other slick wood.