warped crown? Just hammer into place? (vinyl vs wood?)

Old 07-11-09, 10:56 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
warped crown? Just hammer into place? (vinyl vs wood?)

Since i had no idea what any crown would look like in my room, i just bought a test piece to see how it would look against the test wall that i painted. When i put it up it seemed like it didnt fit right and i thought oh well i have an old house and it's not level.

Then i took it down and eyed it and sure enough, it's bowed. (it was the only piece in that type then had left and now i see why lol) If you put it upside down on the floor there is a valley under it.

I think this is vinyl because of how it's bending and the weight, (note i didnt really even look at tags etc, just grabbed a piece). So i was wondering, it's pretty easily bendable so can i just nail it 'correctly' up against the ceilng when it comes time to hang it or will that just give me trouble down the road and i should only seem out perfectly level ones?

if this was wood (maybe it is?) would it be so flexible? I think not but wanted to ask anyway.

Also is there any reason to get vinyl over wood or vice versa?The particular sample i have here is already white and only needs one coat once hung.

as a total aside, home depot around here sucked for crown choices and has virtually no corner blocks. I counted a handful. Lowes has tons more!

Old 07-11-09, 02:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A lot of times crown moulding is kind of 'floppy' until it's nailed up. I've never seen any vinyl crown but I suspect what you have is MDF, it comes preprimed and does paint well. I don't believe it's as durable as wood but that would be non issue with crown moulding.

Old 07-11-09, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Could also be the PVC crown..though normally that didn't warp too much.

Old 07-12-09, 04:08 AM
L
so should i only settle for 'perfect' pieces and return this or as long as i shimmy it flat up against the ceiling and nail it in, it will be fine? Or does you answer depend on what kind this is?

i went to lowes again last night. Even though their selection is superior, i actually like that last piece i got from home depot. Of course since it was the last piece i have to go to the other store or online maybe to order it. Then it's still a crapshoot for how level it is

Old 07-12-09, 04:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If it's MDF it will always be floppy until it's nailed in place. If I remember correctly, MDF is heavier than wood. Wood crown will be stiffer but long lengths will still bend. I don't recall ever seeing PVC crown but if it's like the plastic casing/base, it's fairly rigid.

Old 07-12-09, 04:55 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't think I'd trust nails to hold warped moulding permanently in place.That stress is eventually going to cause something to give way.Warped moulding from a retail perspective is defective.I'd stay with straight peices.

Old 07-12-09, 12:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
First, how wide is the crown? If it is 7" stuff, you could probably need to install backer triangles to mount it to. It will help, also to draw a straight, level line where the bottom of the crown is to go. That way you won't wander, no mater what type material you use. MDF is good up to a point. IMO, larger than 5" it loses its ability to hold itself. I never use plastic. Primed finger jointed wood tends to keep its shape if you go ahead and put it up, now. If you wait, let it sit on saw horses a week, it will tend to find its own design, which may not be that of your room.
MDF or wood, either one, once fastened well, should hold. Determine the direction of your ceiling joists and use them on those two sides with shorter nails. Use longer nails and hit the top plate on the other two sides, and of course the studs of the wall all around. If you choose to use the nailer blocks, then, locating the ceiling joists would be a moot point. Your painter (you or others) will make it all look seamless, so don't worry about small stuff and nail dimples.

Old 07-12-09, 03:28 PM
L
3.5 and it's the stuff that is just flat up against the wall. Doesnt angle over the ceiling like some dental etc does. And ill be using corner blocks because i cant miter lol.

I tried finding what i have online but it's not listed. But i have a question about where exactly to nail. this piece is NOT mine but the principle is the same. There's a smoother piece up on the higher part and design on the lower part. I'm assuming you nail thru the smooth part up top but do you need to nail within the design part itself? The reason i ask is there is a smoother rounded part and the bottom but it's barely 1/4 inch so even with predrilling i dont know if that's a good place.

Old 07-24-09, 11:42 AM
L
just an informational bump to show the sample piece i have at home..i need to return it and get new

Old 07-27-09, 07:34 AM
L
well i found 5 good pieces at home depot and another order coming in next week. So then ill have my crown.

But for the fun of it i put a piece up again and against the corner..then realized that the corner would have a block, not the moulding. But still, the crown showed me that my corner isnt even and if the crown did go to the corner i'd have issues.

but now i'm thinking wont the corner block be uneven in the corner too?

and the crown doesnt appear to be even flush up against my ceiling if i slide it down my room. Does a small gap matter? or is that to be expected?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: