Paint over Shiny Cement in Laundry Room?

Old 07-11-09, 04:18 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint over Shiny Cement in Laundry Room?

Hello to everyone out there. I hope someone can help. I have a shiny cement floor in my laundry room (in basement). The floor is dry all year. It has been finished with some sort of material to make it very smooth and shiny. It is grey. I would like to know if I can paint over that or do I need to etch it or can I prime? I really don't want to get into the mess of an acid wash. If I can paint it what sort of paint should I use?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-09, 04:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like the sealeer that is often applied to new concrete was used. It can affect how well any new coating will adhere. I don't know exactly what the fix would be I'd suggest going to your local paint store [not big box paint dept] and going over your options with them. They'll know which of their primers/paints will work best for you

Old 08-02-09, 04:22 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'll agree with the previous answer about going to a local paint store, and avoiding the big box. I'll tell you that usually the current floor is the result of leveling, etching with muriatic acid, and applying a concrete sealer. This is a great surface to paint on because all the difficult prep work, dealing with the difficult etching, and leveling, is done. What you'll want to do is get a pole sander, a very basic device that allows you to sand while pushing the broom like device. Just a light roughing up of the surface is all you need. Then get some ammonia, and mix it with water a small concentration like a half cup per gallon will do, and mop the floor with this, you'll need to move as much stuff out as possible out of the room, or you can move everything over to one side of the room, and paint the opposite side, give it a few days to dry, and swap sides. Anyway, after the cleaning is done, give it a quick sweep with a dust mop, and you're ready to paint. You have a few good options for paint, I'd reccomend going with rustoleum epoxyshield, in a one part acrylic, this applies like any old paint, and I've had a lot of luck with it. There is also a two part that requires a hardener to be mixed, this provides a more durable finish, but is not as easy to apply. If you're into dark colors epoxy paints don't come in a deep enough base for that so you'll have to use a urethane, this is applied by pouring in a line, and pushing the line with a lambswool applicator. My reccomendation though, one part epoxy, and a 1/4 inch nap roller, applied to a wooden handle so you don't need to bend, also get a mini roller, and do all the borders and tight areas first. If you need any more advice please send me a message, or go to your LOCAL paint store or hardware store. Thank You

All the paints I mentioned are available from True Value, from my personal experiance as an employee. If you have to special order it's not a bad thing, because you'll want to wait awhile after sanding and mopping, for everything to be perfectly dry and dust free.