Suggestions, low/no VOC paint?

Old 07-12-09, 02:54 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggestions, low/no VOC paint?

Hello, everyone:

I was wondering if any of you could please share your experiences with low or no VOC paints. I have several larger rooms to paint and would prefer not to break the bank, but also want to have a healthy environment for my small boys.
I've been reading lots of reviews online, but they all seem pretty mixed...

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-09, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
My take is that with proper ventilation during application and drying..whats the problem?

That said, all the major paint makers have products that are reputed to be good. Ben -Moore, Sherwin-Williams and regional makers are good places to start.

Old 07-13-09, 04:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
I don't remember if I've used any low/no voc paint other than what SWP has but I've never noticed any difference between it and regular paint as far application and coverage goes.

Old 07-14-09, 12:59 PM
S
I have been very happy with SWP Duration interior paint. I'm pregnant, so I've been using low VOC paint along with a re-breather. The quality of the Duration has been very nice and I'm happy with the coverage. The odor is completely gone within 48 hours of drying. I just painted an interior room last weekend with no windows, so very limited ventilation, and by this morning there was absolutely no odor.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-02-09, 01:17 PM
T
Generally there are greater options in different paints, but if you are in to doing the right thing for the environment, mythic paint is a great option. It tends to be available at most ace hardware stores, and also at specialty paint stores, it ranges from about 25 dollars a gallon to 35 dollars a gallon, it's decent paint, but for the same price you could get a much nicer product that contains VOC. A good tip I like to share with anyone considering painting with just a few gallons, is to head to a store that carries high quality paint like a specialty paint store, and buy some oops paint, this way you can get paints costing 40-50 dollars a gallon, that will leave a beautiful finish for 20 dollars a gallon or less. There are some low VOC paints that sell for far less, but I've never heard good things about them avoid cheap low VOC paint. Good Luck, and try to buy from a local hardware store if you can, a lot of the local stores are in real need of business lately.

Old 08-02-09, 04:55 PM
S
If you're going to look for a sepcialty paint like mythic go to their web site first and do a dealer search.Although some Ace stores may carry it,in my area it is only carried by a local specialty paint store.Whoever you choose to buy paint from call ahead when looking for a specialty product or check online.