What's the difference between the Benjamin Moore paint bases

Old 07-15-09, 01:19 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What's the difference between the Benjamin Moore paint bases

Hi all,

I'm about to paint my bedroom/bathroom. I decided on BM because of their reputation, picked my colors, and thought I was all set to go, but I'm confused by all the different lines they have for their interior paints (Aura, Natura, Regal, ben, and their Benjamin Moore® Kitchen & Bath 100% Acrylic Latex Satin Finish)

What's the difference between all of these products? Are some of them "better", more durable, more washable, better color coverage, etc?

I was overwhelmed enough by trying to choose the level of gloss in my finish (I was going to go with Eggshell in the bedroom and perhaps something with a little more gloss in the bathroom). Now I have no idea where to start.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-09, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Since you are going with BM..the best person to ask is at the store...but anyway, the painters will be around later. The mid-upper end finishes will be easier to apply, give better coverage, and be more durable.

My opinions..I agree with you...I like one step above flat (whatever they may call it) for living areas...satin for kitchens/laundry areas....and I use semi-gloss for full bathrooms. I like the extra light. I used satin in the 1/2 baths where there was no shower.

I never used a specific kitchen and bath paint and never had any problems...but I'm good about vent fans and such.

Old 07-15-09, 03:40 PM
F
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
The mid-upper end finishes will be easier to apply, give better coverage, and be more durable.
Sounds great! However, it's not clear to me which ones are the mid-upper end and which ones are their regular.

I never used a specific kitchen and bath paint and never had any problems...but I'm good about vent fans and such.
Thanks for the info. It's always great to be able to learn from other people's actual experience, rather than company "guarantees"

Old 07-15-09, 04:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
I don't often use BM coatings. Aura is their new top of the line paint. They have a bargain basement line which isn't fit to use but I don't remember what it's called Generally all lines of paint are offered in the 3 basic sheens; flat, eggshell/satin and semi-gloss. You need to use an enamel in the bath - which sheen isn't all that important. If the bath has poor ventilation or if you like very steamy showers - get the K&B paint!

As mentioned above, the paint store can advise you how the different lines are rated. Usually if you get mid line or better - you'll be satisfied.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 07-15-09, 04:26 PM
B
For the bedroom, I would use flat on the ceiling and walls and satin on the woodwork. In the bathroom, use satin all the way around. I'm of the opinion to not use any higher sheen than necessary for washing purposes, and bedrooms don't generally require the light washing, as do kitchens and baths.

Old 07-15-09, 06:51 PM
A
paint

I would just be very clear with the painters in terms of which one you want, as we had one painter who claimed he was using the top of the line (and we paid for top of the line) and we later found out he used the middle of the road. He pocketed the difference, apparently.