Painting a room with picture frame molding

Old 07-18-09, 11:18 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting a room with picture frame molding

My dining room has picture frame molding above the chair rail, as well as crown and baseboard molding. Right now, the entire room is painted white. I would like to leave the trim white (just give it a fresh coat of paint) and paint the rest of the walls a light sand color. My question is, do I paint the trim first or the walls? Are there any special techniques to help me keep straight lines around the trim?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-09, 01:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It would probably be easier to paint the mouldings first and then the rest of the wall when dry. I usually enamel the chair rail and wall/mouldings below it - makes it kind of look like a wainscotting. I don't too often run across picture frames above the chair rail. I mention this because what type of paint is currently on the wall and trim can play a part in how or which type of coatings should be used when repainting.

You will want to invest in a good brush. I'd use a 2" purdy sash [angle] brush. If you enamel the trim first, it won't have to be real neat and when you cut the wall paint into the trim, because it's enamel, any errant paint will wipe off with a damp rag [while the paint is still wet]

It's never a good idea to apply latex straight over oil base enamel. There is a sticky at the top of this forum with instructions on how to tell if you have oil enamel - if you need it

Old 07-20-09, 07:32 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you - this makes perfect sense! I do have oil-based paint on the trim, so I plan to sand it thoroughly before painting (this worked nicely in other rooms that had the same kind of paint but no picture frame mouldings.)

Old 07-23-09, 04:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
Any time you use latex paint over oil base enamel, besides sanding, you should use a solvent based primer. The primer will adhere to the enamel and the latex top coat will adhere to the primer. Latex primers don't always adhere well to oil base enamels.