Stomped Ceiling and Painting

Old 08-10-09, 04:17 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stomped Ceiling and Painting

I've started a painting project in my home and I have run into a problem. They used to be apartment rental that were sold as town-homes. They are about 25yrs old and I am sure that the paint that was used in the past is garbage. I was painting one of the ceilings today with a ceiling paint when in some spots the stomped texture peeled off and fell to the floor. In the spot that peeled you can see that it had never been primed so I guess the stickiness of the paint and the weight of the paint made it peel. Does anybody know of a product or some procedure that can be applied to the ceilings to insure that the texture will stay put so I can paint it. I don't want to have to remove the textured ceiling to fix this issue as I can see some places that have been repaired in the past that just don't match the stomp pattern that was originally there. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-09, 04:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 227 Votes on 202 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It's possible that the ceilings were never painted What has happened is moisture [humidty] has degraded the joint compound that was used for texture. When the paint gets the texture wet, it tries to disolve it.

How are you painting the ceiling. Usually if you roll fairly quick and don't go over any of the areas you have already applied paint too, it will do ok. It's the build up of wet paint that over wets the texture. it is better to touch up thin or missed spots after the paint has dried. An oil base primer could help but hopefully you won't need to go that route.

Generally kitchen and bath ceilings and areas near where a window is often left open are the most problematic areas.