water-based primer and paint for poplar shelves

Old 08-31-09, 11:15 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water-based primer and paint for poplar shelves

I have some unfinished poplar furniture (shelves for toy storage in play area) that I need to prime and paint and I'm looking for advice on good water-based products to use.

Primer: I read some good things online about Zinsser Primecoat2 interior primer (which is only sold at HD but according to Zinsser is the same thing as Bulls Eye Water-Base), but Zinsser says Bulls Eye 1-2-3 (interior/exterior, all surfaces) is a better choice.

Paint: I've heard that Benjamin Moore Regal semi-gloss has a hard finish. According to consumer reports Sears Best Easy Living Ultra is also is good for not being sticky and is much lower in VOCs.

I've already filled the nail holes, etc. with filler. Planning to sand with 150, prime, sand lightly with 220, and then paint. Any advice or help on products or process would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-31-09, 12:11 PM
S
Any name brand paint product sold at a big box store has been formulated to meet a price point not a quality level.If the product is the same as a well known and respected Zinsser product then why aren't they selling the well known product?The reason is it isn't really the same,it has been formulated to meet a price point that is lower than the well known product.

As for the paint,you might want to look at waterborne enamels.These are water based products but have a far harder and more durable finish than any form of wall paint.For your usage,kids and toys,this would hold up better.

Old 08-31-09, 12:52 PM
B
I follow your logic about the box store primer, but why would Zinsser tell me that it is exactly the same as their other product if it isn't? But anyway, what I really want to know is what primer I should use.

For waterborne enamels, could you give me an example? Is BM Waterborne Satin Impervo a good choice? SW ProClassic Interior Acrylic Latex (for doors/cabinets, comes in multiple finishes)?

Last edited by bajinnova; 08-31-09 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-31-09, 02:10 PM
S
I'm no painter and have not used either product mentioned but the BM product has gotten good reviews here.Waterborne enamels have a far more durable finish and any well known brand names version would likely perform well.

As for Zinsser,if they start telling people the "truth" they will obviously anger their very large customers,the big box stores.They may also be contractually required to tell you it's the same.These companies have leverage they can bring to bare on companies like Zinsser and it's parent company,RPM which originated as Rustoleum and now manufactuers/owns a variety of brand names, that would seriously damage their bottom lines.The amounts of money involved are tremendous as is the product volumes.

Old 08-31-09, 04:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
IMO it's best to use an enamel undercoater [either latex or oil] and then paint with either an oil base or waterborne enamel. Most latex enamels can have a problem with sticking, this is especially true of the cheaper latex enamels. Oil base dries to a very hard film and will not stick, it is a little stinky and takes longer to dry. I'm very partial to SWP's proclassic waterborne enamel. It dries quick and to a hard film and won't yellow like oil will [if your using white] unfortunately it is the most expensive enamel.

BM's impervo is a very good coating line although I don't use a lot of BM products.
Most interior wood primers will do an adequate job. I wouldn't recomend the latex kilz - it's reported to have adhession issues

Old 09-01-09, 06:11 AM
B
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I'm very partial to SWP's proclassic waterborne enamel. It dries quick and to a hard film and won't yellow like oil will [if your using white] unfortunately it is the most expensive enamel.
Is this the same thing as ProClassic Interior Acrylic Latex? I'm a little confused about the seemingly interchangeable use of acrylic, latex, and enamel considering that the theme here seems to be that waterborne enamels are different animals from latex wall paints.

Old 09-01-09, 01:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know if there is a latex version of the proclassic enamel. I've only used the waterborne and the alkyld [oil base] If there is a latex proclassic - it would be their best latex enamel.

A lot of latex paints have acrylic in them so some people will refer to latex as acrylic. Interior latex comes in wall paint, usually flat but sometimes enamel and then there is enamel formulated for woodwork which is a little more durable than wall enamel.

Waterborne paint is different from latex. It's kind of like a hybrid. It has alot of the properties of oil base paint but it cleans up with water.

Old 09-02-09, 01:03 PM
B
As far as I can tell from the SW website, there is just one water based ProClassic paint (in several different gloss levels). The official name of the product is "ProClassic Interior Acrylic Latex," but the web page says "ProClassic Interior Acrylic Enamel combines the performance characteristics of an alkyd with the environmental benefits of a waterborne." So I think this must be the same stuff you're talking about. If I'm wrong someone please point me to the right product (web page, product number, etc.).

ProClassic Interior Acrylic Latex

Old 09-02-09, 01:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That isn't the label I'm familiar with. I'm retired and it's been a few years since I've bought any proclassic waterborne - it's possible they have monkeyed with the formula and changed it some.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: