Wall repair and paint

Old 09-01-09, 07:55 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Wall repair and paint

Hi,

I am getting ready to paint my bathroom in my new house. The problem is the bathroom had these old ceramic glue on towel holders. I had to carefully take them off the wall. The drywall did not get damaged except minor dents. The glue did do some damage exposing the brown looking cardboard like paper.

I am not sure what kind of paint I have on the walls. It looks matte. I tried the nail test. It does not seem to leave marks easy. There are no marks from rollers or brushes.

Questions, if my may:

1. Do I prime the spots where holders were glued on the drywall to prep the now exposed paper, or should I prime he entire bathroom with the same primer as for the now exposed paper? If I have to prime then what primer should I use?

2. If priming is required, I imagine I then in step 2 will have to plaster the spots to smooth out the minor dents that were created by removing the holders off he wall. Is here any special kind of plaster I will need to use that will stick to the paper? Will I need to prime 2nd time over plaster?

Thanks.

Old 09-01-09, 08:37 PM
S
You would use drywall joint compound or possibly spackling compound on the areas you need to patch if your walls are drywall.You would not use plaster.

You would spread the material and smooth as much as you can with your knife,sand smooth and feather edges,remove any sanding residue then prime and paint.You do not use primer underneath a patch.

You do need to determine what is now on the walls.There is a sticky in this forum that explains how to do that.If it's oil on the walls use a solvent/oil based primer then paint with either latex or oil top coat of your choice.If it's latex you can use either a latex or oil primer then paint.

If the walls are flat it's likely latex however if the finish seems hard that could be an oil enamel.

The best paint for bothrooms are the products specifically for them.That said any quality midrange or higher non big box and known brand paint should perform well.Do not scimp on your tools are cheap brushes and rollers make the best paint look bad and are more of a fight to work with.Shop where the help is knowledgeable.

Old 09-02-09, 04:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I would add that if any of the gypsum is exposed [paper face torn/missing on drywall] you should coat with a solvent based primer prior to using joint compound. That will prevent the moisture in j/c or latex paint/primer from causing the surrounding paper to bubble. Not a problem if the paper is intact.

I'll also agree with not buying paint from a big box. The folks at your local paint store will have better coatings but even more importantly - their help is better qualified to advise you on which coatings [and prep needed] to use for your particular job.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 09-02-09, 05:41 PM
M
Thank you very much! I shall revert with the results.

Old 09-12-09, 11:02 AM
M
Everything went fine. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: