Do I need to sand oil paint to put oil paint over it?

Old 09-09-09, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need to sand oil paint to put oil paint over it?

I have never painted in my life time, I think I have oil paint on the trim, should I sand it first?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-09, 04:02 PM
If it has a high gloss then it probably is oil.It's a good idea to scuff sand a high gloss finish to help with adhesion.Oil on oil might do ok but it's always a bit of a risk to paint a gloss surface with no prep.

FYI if you are unsure if it is or isn;t oil,and if it's a semi gloss then there is a question,there's a sticky in this forum that explains how to tell the difference.

Old 09-10-09, 03:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
It's almost always a good practice to sand prior to painting, especially on woodwork. Besides giving the fresh paint a better 'tooth' it also helps to level out any inconsistencies in the old finish allowing the new coat of paint to look it's best.

here's a link to the sticky,
http://forum.doityourself.com/painti...latex-oil.html

I would suggest going to your local paint store [not big box] for your painting supplies. They will have better paint and advice! They can also guide you in choosing the right paint and applicators for your needs.

Old 09-10-09, 09:14 PM
You should sand ANY glossy paint - latex or oil before recoating. The exception being if the paint is old (pre-1978) where it may contain lead, then you should not.

Sanding always improves adhesion. You can use a "bonding primer" in lieu of sanding, BUT the surface must be squeaky clean prior to priming. Even then, sanding is still preferred as it will improve the adhesion of the bonding primer.

One further note: When converting from oil to latex, you should do so with a solvent bonding primer - either oil or shellac, to avoid the possibility of the primer, or the subsequent paint from crackling.

Suitable primers for this would be: Xim's 400 white, Zinsser's Coverstain, or BIN. There are others that would work, the above would be my first choices for this. Provide for good ventilation with these primers during and after priming.