Painting over repaired drywall/plaster

Old 09-17-09, 01:59 PM
Painting over repaired drywall/plaster

Painting our new house that has plaster walls that have just been patched up in spots with new drywall. I was planning on priming over the new drywall, but the drywaller said I would need to prime the entire wall so that the texture would match up.

Is this really needed? I am rolling the paint on, so wouldn't the texture even out without the primer? What would the primer do for texture?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-09, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
Hard to tell without seeing but my first thought would have been just to prime the repairs. Only thing I can say is the drywall guy has seen the wall, I think I might be inclined to go with his recommendation.

Old 09-17-09, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a little easier to texture a wall where the texture will dry consistent but as long as he sprays the texture it shouldn't be a big deal. The 'new' areas will suck up the moisture in the texture and dry a LOT quicker than the painted areas.

That said, it doesn't cost much to prime the walls and if you please the contractor he can't blame any defects because you didn't follow his instructions. Of course the texture will need priming after it dries.

Old 09-17-09, 04:58 PM
I presume it is a knock-down or hand texture of sorts. In that case, yes, it is a necessary step. I hope they are not spraying the texture in a plaster house.....
Be safe, Gary

Old 09-18-09, 06:21 AM
I am not sure what texture you guys are talking about (don't know much about drywall or plaster), but the walls aren't textured, other than the natural texture of the materials used.

Evidently, when they sand the drywall patches, the patches will be smooth and the plaster will be plaster.

Old 09-18-09, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
so..... you are referring to roller stipple and not texture?

Depending on how much roller stipple is on the wall is what determines if the repairs will show. You shouldn't need to prime the entire wall but it may take several roller coats over the repairs to make them not visable.

I have used a thin orange peel texture to mimic many coats of rolled on paint.

Old 09-18-09, 03:23 PM
I don't know what texture the drywaller was talking about, but yes, the only texture I see on the walls is roller stipple.

I talked with the GC today and he seemed to think that priming the patches would be all that I need.