Vertical Sheen Striping Help

Old 09-21-09, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vertical Sheen Striping Help

So after I painted the walls with a Satin paint we decided to do striping in the room with different sheens. We are doing 8" wide vertical stripes below the chair rail in our nursary with one single color.

So as i stated we have satin on the wall. I read that it should have been a flat but being in a nursery I decided against a flat paint. I then taped off stripes and used a high gloss instead of the semi gloss that usually goes with the flat paint.

I cant see the stripes very well at all what should i do?

Should i buy a gloss like a poly or something and paint over where i just high glossed. I would say that painting the other stripes back to a flat is pretty much out of the question at this point LOL.. just too much of a pain in the butt.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-09, 06:31 PM
You need more contrast in sheen between stripes

You should as a rule start with flat as your base paint, then add glossier stripes. The reason for this is you don't want to paint flat latex over a semi-gloss because you might get a crackle finish if you go that route.

Sheen striping is subtle. It will only be seen on an angle. You should be able to see a high gloss on a satin (on an angle).

You can actually paint some stripes down to flat by using an oil based flat to bring the gloss down, you won't get any crackle that way. BUt, this is a nursery, so I would stay away from the odor and solvents of oil based paint.

If your high gloss was not very "high", you could raise the gloss using a clear finish. In fact I often do sheen striping that way. I don't bother with two different "paints". I use a base (usually flat), then roll the stripes with a waterbased clear coat. Use a foam roller, and roll out the air from the roller before rolling your stripes or you will get bubbles.

Don't use an oil polyurethane, it will yellow your stripes. You will probably need to lightly sand the stripes that you are going to put the clear coat over for proper intercoat adhesion.

It may be that you can't see the striping only because below the chair rail there is not adequate light reflecting off the wall to show the sheen difference. You could resort to "plan B - subtle striping". Slightly darken one of the stripes by strengthening the formula - try a quart at 125% tint strength or maybe 150% combined with the subtle sheen difference, that would probably show up.

Last edited by Slatz; 09-22-09 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-22-09, 07:38 PM
Just to be sure that we are on the same page, the entire wall was painted in a satin and then i taped off and added high gloss to make the stripes.

so today i decided to try putting poly over the high gloss stripes which does not appear to have done anything additional for the look i am going for.

Tomorrow i am pretty sure that I am going to pull of the tape, retape to paint the current SATIN stripes back to a flat.

Can i just paint over the satin with a flat?

Old 09-23-09, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
It would be best to scuff sand the satin prior to repainting it with flat.

How long are you leaving the tape on? It's best to remove the tape before the paint has had time to set up.

Almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 09-23-09, 04:47 AM
unfortunately for too long it has been up for 48 hours and I will be pulling it off tonight hopefully.

Old 09-23-09, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Tape can be problematic If you see that it is going to pull off the fresh paint with it carefully score a line to cut the bond between the paint and the tape. Hopefully it won't pull loose any of the paint under the tape.